Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Dear TheOldMan,

You have been very generous with your time and research efforts trying to solve my problem of updating the BIOS of my computer in preparation for a transition to Windows 10.  I thank you most sincerely.  However, I regret to say that you have taken on a rather recalcitrant pupil in me.

To the best of my judgment, your latest advice may well hold the solution, but I regret that my journey has been so winding, with many side-tracks and falls at hurdles that I am not confident I can make proper use of it.  

My first difficulty arises from Step 2 of the Knowledge Base article re: setting  up the BIOS update on the USB drive.  When I went to the downloads page for my machine, the attached screenshots show the choices with which I was confronted.  Which should I download to the USB stick? (I'm afraid that the screenshots may not display despite my attempts.  I'm afraid the method of posting pictures has escaped me this time around.  What is 'intuitive' to many I find not to be at all so for me.  Call it some kind of 'computer dyslexia' but I just don't get it and need clear, detailed, preferably illustrated, written instructions)

I also have a problem in that I've now lost the instructions I originally had for determining the current BIOS version, such are the twists and turns in this sorry saga.

I will try to organise all my information from scratch again and see if I can work out what I must do to achieve my goal.  At the moment, I appear to have a dog's breakfast of instructions, most of which have proven useless, and I have some other demands in my personal life that preclude my giving the matter the attention it obviously needs.

So sorry that I cannot yet tick the 'Accept as solution' box.

All the best.

HP Recommended

Sorry that the attempts are frustrating.  Since the PC is a Business Class machine, some of the instructions might be intimidating to the novice user.  But, as a Business Class machine, they expect an IT person to be close by for assistance.

Since you hinted that you might be older and less  familiar with PC things, perhaps see if you can find a friend or relative to assist with this task.

No offense intended, but if there is a senior center close by,  many of them in the USA ( I see you are located in Australia, so do not know about there) have a person that can help with tasks like this.  Since this is a desktop PC, that might be inconvenient, but perhaps ask for assistance to see what might come of that.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Once again I am indebted to TheOldMan for your generosity and sage advice.  I have a lead on help courtesy of one of my fellow residents here at my retirement village.  While she expressed some dismay at the enthusiastic and talkative young volunteer at our local library I have some confidence that my PC knowledge is rather better than hers as I have managed to achieve some progress in matters that still mystify her.

On another front, I fear I may have let my difficulties and personal circumstances get in the way of properly analysing the material you so kindly provided.  (The hospitalisation of one's life partner of 55+ years has the effect of distracting one from less important matters.  However, the crisis past I am now thinking more clearly.)  I have re-read the material pointing me to the HP Support Knowledge Base article that offered three methods of updating the BIOS and now believe that I can follow (on paper at least) the process for updating manually from a USB flash drive.  I now need a little time to follow through in practice.  This I plan to do but I may take a while before I can respond.  Even if I am unable to spare the time for a week or two, I hope that I can still give you the thoroughly-deserved kudos for solving my problem by returning to this discussion with an "Accept as solution endorsement" .

Thank you again for your help.  I have developed great respect for your knowledge and your humanity.

All the best.

HP Recommended

I can truly understand when life events get in the forefront.  I too have a life partner of 55+ years, so I understand.

When/if you try to make progress on the this topic again and need to write to get some clarity or to say it has been completed, please feel free to post again.  I wish you Peace

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.