Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 6 (359 Views)

Upgrade Bios

Product Name: pavillion elite e9160f
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

after turning off computer for a few hrs. when we turn on it goes to black screen. Turn it off and then back on and all boots ok. We have checked drivers for upgrades and now wonder if it is the BIOS that needs upgrading. How do we check this? Is remote assistance available for this? Microsoft checked out machine and they referrred us to HP due to BIOS concern.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 6 (352 Views)

Re: Upgrade Bios

[ Edited ]

RGalvin, welcome to the forum.

There is no BIOS update available for your motherboard. 

Your best option would be to do a full System Recovery to see if that solves your problem.

Another possibility is a failing power supply unit (PSU).  Here is a guide to help you troubleshoot it.  The problems that you describe can be caused by a lack of power from the PSU.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen 880-160se; i7-8700K; 16 GB DDR4 2400; GTX 1070-8 GB; 512 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 6 (348 Views)

Hello rgalvin, 

You can go on your desktop screen and hit your windows+r key and open the run box and then from there type cmd and open the command line, from there type as it appears no quotations "wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion" you will then get another box that will go out to hp.com under support and software and then find your device  and compare the bios version you have to what is on the website. 

you could be right and this could resolve the issue. If it does not call in under the support number and get further assistance with trouble shooting. 

I am and employee for HP
Top Student
Message 4 of 6 (316 Views)

can u provide support number?

Tutor
Message 5 of 6 (310 Views)

Yes rgalvin, 

The number that you would want to do is call 800-474-6836 

I am and employee for HP
Top Student
Message 6 of 6 (279 Views)

Thank you I will call.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation