Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17-G121WM
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A lady gave me her laptop to update so she can use it.

It has W10 Home, version 1511 installed.  It looks like this computer has never been used, and I was met with the initial setup screens.

After getting everything set up, updates would not work.  I think I remember reading somewhere that any system with a W10 install that was over 2 years would not be supported.

What is the easiest and/or best way to get it updated to 1909?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@snowshed 

Probably a CLEAN install would be an option. Please go to the following site to download Windows 10 software

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The tool will allow you to make a bootable installation media (USB/DVD) and you can use installation media to install.

During the installation process if you are asked to enter a product key, check the 'Skip' box and W10 will install and then automatically activate once you are connected to the internet using the key embedded in BIOS of your machine.

You can also mount downloaded ISO file as DVD drive and run Setup from there.

Then you can install the drivers and available software you need from your PC's support page. Normally few Windows 10 updates can install nearly all drivers for you.

Note: If you wish to keep user files and applications/programs, you need to select this option from the beginning.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, banhien.
@banhien wrote:

@snowshed 

Probably a CLEAN install would be an option. Please go to the following site to download Windows 10 software

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The tool will allow you to make a bootable installation media (USB/DVD) and you can use installation media to install.

I've already tried this with a USB, running the Setup program from the desktop, and booting it.  Then it failed to boot from the USB.  I need to go into the BIOS and check to see if Legacy USB support is enabled.

During the installation process if you are asked to enter a product key, check the 'Skip' box and W10 will install and then automatically activate once you are connected to the internet using the key embedded in BIOS of your machine.

Yes sir, been there, done that a few times.

You can also mount downloaded ISO file as DVD drive and run Setup from there.

Then you can install the drivers and available software you need from your PC's support page. Normally few Windows 10 updates can install nearly all drivers for you.

We'll have to hope I can get it installed, first!  😀

Note: If you wish to keep user files and applications/programs, you need to select this option from the beginning.

Interestingly, this laptop has never been used, or someone else reset it to a clean install, as I had to input all those choices when I first started working on it.  The owner thought she had used it, but I don't know if she really knows.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.