Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion Notebook dv7 1130us
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

I have been trying without success to get a simple yes or no answer from many sources. I want to know if I can install Windows 10 on my dv7 1130us laptop which is now running Vista 64bit. I cannot find anything more than basic system requirements for Windows 10. It would have been nice if Microsoft would have created a Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor like they did for 7 and 8. So can anybody tell me if this laptop would be compatible with Windows 10.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@ammess

Windows 10 will run on almost anything.  Microsoft is doing an exemplary job providing drivers and software to allow Windows 10 to run on all sorts of old and new computers (not just HP).

System:

HP Pavilion dv7-1130us Entertainment Notebook PC

Short Answer:

1. No, your system has served you well -- it is time to invest in some new hardware.  
  2. HP and other vendors build lots of computers in every price range that happily run Windows 10.

Commentary

Problems and Challenges migrating Vintage systems to Windows 10 includes (and is certainly not limited to) the following:

• Your hardware (computer) does not support / provide HP Drivers for anything newer than Windows 7.  Vendor drivers provide the computer with the specific software support for your hardware:  Audio, Network, Graphics, Chipset, specialty programs and drivers for your fingerprint reader.
  • Even assuming someone could help with some driver support so things like your Network (Internet) would function, there is NO support to update the BIOS.  Eventually, if not right away, this lack of BIOS update is likely to cause issues.  How bad?  Maybe tolerable, maybe downright "show stopping".
  • Operating a migrated system on an unsupported Operating System version can be challenging.  How?  Programs may not work as expected, the system may be slow, sluggish, and fail to provide the kind of diagnostic information necessary to know what to do when something goes wrong.
  • In general, if you have to ask the question, you may not have the necessary skill level to put up with the hassle.  If you do have the skill level, you may (at some point) run out of patience with your nice old computer.

This response is a personal opinion and the message is delivered with the utmost respect.

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thanks!

Click Post that answers your question "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

>  So can anybody tell me if this laptop would be compatible with Windows 10.

Your computer: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01550098

is "beefy" enough to run Windows 10 (fast CPU, lots of RAM, large disk-drive).

Given that Vista was pre-installed at the factory, it was manufactured between 2007 and 2011 (when Windows 7 was released).  So, if you still are using the original disk-drive, it's getting quite "old".  We'll get back to that, below.

What I would do:

1. backup all your personal files, because the disk-drive is going to get "wiped";

2. download Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

and write it to a bootable USB memory-stick, or burn it to a few DVD-recordable disks;

3. Boot your computer from this media, and install Windows 10 (delete all existing partitions to "empty" the disk-drive).

When asked for the 25-character product-key, click "I do not have one".

Windows will install in "trial" mode, i.e., usable for a few days.

4. Windows 10 will install (or won't install);

5. Access the Windows "Device Manager" to see if Windows 10 contains the device-drivers for your HP-specific hardware;

6. Run Windows Update, to see if it will download any additional device-drivers.

7. You'll have the definitive answer to your question.

8. You may want to replace the disk-drive by a SSD (Solid State Disk), and reinstall Windows to the SSD.

9. Purchase a license-key, and activate Windows.

OK?

HP Recommended

I appreciate replies from Dragon-Fur (not surprised at the pessimism) and from mdklassen (pleasantly surprised that there is some hope). This laptop has served me well for several years and I have just retired and was hoping that I could upgrade it for my 10 year old grandson. I know that I could upgrade to Windows 7 but I thought 10 would be a wiser choice. I'll probably give it try as the "professor" so kindly outlined. I just hated the thought of now having a $400 paper- weight that is still funtional but not supported.

HP Recommended

@ammess

Excellent choice.

Good luck!

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

> I just hated the thought of now having a $400 paper- weight that is still funtional but not supported.

As an alternative, try the UBUNTU variant of Linux, for a "supported" Operating System.

Download it, and burn it to a CD-recordable.

Boot it, and you can choose the "Live CD" option -- UBUNTU gets loaded into RAM, and NONE of the files on your disk-drive are touched. 

I don't know how good UBUNTU is with supplying device-drivers for specific laptop hardware components.

But, with "live CD", you can have a good "test-drive".

UBUNTU also contains a free "look-alike" for Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.