Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
G5350uk
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I had a virus which took over MS anti-virus and deleted everything after the last backup date. Tried to do a restore and after about an hour this error code came up, now it wont load. Seems obvious that the bios has been taken over. HELP

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@G3WBC 

That error code usually means the Master Boot Record (MBR) has become corrupted -- and has nothing whatsoever to do with the BIOS.

You CAN, if you're willing to do some work and have another working PC, create the media needed to repair the MBR -- but the more pressing problem is that will not disinfect your PC.  So if you really DID get an infection, the only SAFE thing to do is a complete Windows reinstallation.

What makes you think it got infected, in the first place?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Many thanks W A Wood for you prompt and informative reply.

I am fairly experienced be it now somewhat out of date. The virus did the following;

Deleted all files on the PC over 3 drives and my laptop networked to the PC, which where dated post my last  backup date

Overtook Microsoft Anti virus software in fact, it arrived on the update input, stopped AV manual starts

Overtook BIOS so that I could not boot up in Safe Mode and gave unexpected messages about the 3 drives 

Wrote off an almost new Samsung 128gb memory card 

I was trying to do an HP Windows re-installation when the error message came up and the PC would no longer boot up

I think I have reached the inevitable conclusion, the local tidy tip when it re-opens

Stay safe 

G3WBC

HP Recommended

@G3WBC 

OK, thanks for the info.  It's likely the MBR rebuild is not going to work, but you should try it.

After that, what would be your next focus -- reloading an OS or recovering lost files?

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help, I think I have the solution, a used mother board from eBay for £14.

That should do the trick

Stay safe

HP Recommended

@G3WBC 

IF it works, that will be good -- but understand that the HP OEM license is embedded into the firmware of the motherboard and when you tossed the old one, you tossed your license, as well -- and HP will not furnish you a second one.

So, if Windows deactivates when launched using the replacement board, you will likely have to go out any buy your own Windows license to continue to use it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.