Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP z240
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Why doesn't the "HP SoftPaq Download Manager" (HP SPDM) show this new BIOS as being installed?

HP SoftPaq Download Manager, version 4.4.0.0, SSM version 3.2.11.1
1.74 A 1 . . . Date Released 2019-01-10

System Information shows it:
HP N51 Ver. 01.74, 12/04/18

. . . and I see 1.74 when it boots up

Restarting the computer, and re-opening the HP SPDM doesn't fix it.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@mb1280 

Possible reasons include - and may not be limited to:

• Catalog did not update correctly (unlikely since you would see a message should this happen)
  • There is an error condition that has not cleared for an unknown reason (possible though "what" is wrong may be difficult to track down)

If you are sure the BIOS is indeed running on the version you expect (and want), open SDM - wait for the catalog to update (or update it by clicking / selecting to have the catalog checked in Tools > Configuration Options > section On Startup

Check box Check for new Softpaq Catalog file > OK to save changes

Check for Updates

Select the errant BIOS update (check box) > Right Click on the line > Hide the softpaq

Hiding the softpaq will move the update from the "Available Softpaqs" list down to the "No Action Needed" list.

For those reading...

Driver Management for Business class computers (SDM)

Business Systems - Client Management Solutions (software management)

Softpaq Download Manager - HP Software installations / updates / management

Business class computers support a robust, comprehensive software tool for updating and

managing HP Software and Drivers:  Softpaq Download Manager (SDM)

SDM will find-install-update needed HP software and drivers for your business class machine, including, when applicable, the fussy BIOS update.

HP SoftPaq Download Manager (SDM)

sp87158

04/20/2018

Windows (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10)

sp87158.exe

sp87158.html

How-to and Instructions:

HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SoftPaq Download Manager

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

Drivers / Software and BIOS, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

Matching products for United States (2)

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I re-installed the BIOS from the main web page (this did not fix it) . . . https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z240-tower-workstation/8354563

I re-installed the HP SoftPaq Download Manager, and deleted the install folder (maybe there is a non-updated cache? this did not fix it) . . . https://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HP_SDM.html

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On the web page for the SDM, it looks like working with the BIOS is new - why can't it detect that the BIOS has been updated?

VERSION 4.4.0
Enables BIOS and Firmware updates to be installed in the Check for Update mode.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I can hide it in the SDM, exit, and it doesn't show up.

If I un-hide it, then it says "Install Error"

File / Update Catalog Now . . . then, it's back to "Manual Install"

. . . it keeps saying I need to do a "Manual Install" . . .

HP Z240/Z238 series Workstation System BIOS
1.74 A1
Critical
BIOS
2019-01-10
SoftPaq # 93506

HP Recommended

@mb1280 

mb1280 wrote:

On the web page for the SDM, it looks like working with the BIOS is new - why can't it detect that the BIOS has been updated?

Answer

The SDM software has determined that the particular BIOS package is incorrectly installed - or not installed.

While the answer is useless in context, it does illustrate the limitations of the software messaging system. 

As far as SDM is concerned, there is a problem.  The exact nature of the problem is perhaps not something for which the (written) code has an answer.  As a result of that messaging system limitation, you see various messages that appear ambiguous in the context of what you believe is happening.

OR

There really is a problem somewhere and the SDM software cannot tell you the precise nature of the error.

If you like, if hiding this update is not satisfactory, and (only) if you have backed up any critical "must have" data to a location outside of the computer, consider...

The following can help a "stuck" BIOS update.  Realizing that your system is NOT offering the symptoms described in the (following) procedure, the "Forced Restart" option might help IF the issue is simply a stuck indicator or setup.  Why?  Forced Restart (also called a Forced Reset) forces the computer to boot from the Operating System installed on disk and clears any stored memory locations that ordinarily assist in the "faster" boot process.

Forced Restart / Boot

IF a BIOS update is just stuck / stubborn / frozen-in-place half way through the update / boot process,

And / Or

If there are boot issues that prevent a complete or clean boot of the Operating System,

IF there is not actually anything wrong with the windows installation or the File System,

The following procedure might resolve the issue.

1. Unplug everything, including power and all other externally connected components
  2. Press and hold down the power button for thirty (30) to forty (40) seconds
  3. Release the power button
  4. Plug in only basic components needed to start / boot the computer

• Desktop:  Connect Power, wired mouse and keyboard, HDMI to monitor (and monitor is powered on)
  • Notebook:  Connect AC Power

1. Switch on the system with power button - Click power and release (as for normal boot)

Hoped for Results:

>> System boots normally - SDM detects the installation of the BIOS version you expect - SDM error messaging is cleared

• System switches on, monitor active, mouse and keyboard responsive

If the issue was a "stuck" BIOS update:

• Screen shows the BIOS update window with choices:  cancel / update
  • Wait several seconds; stare at it and contemplate actions. (The process will continue on its own after about 10-20 seconds)
  • BIOS update continues, completes, and reboots the system

When the system reboots,

1. Log in
  2. Connect LAN (Ethernet)
  3. Connect other components (USB, external webcam, speakers...)
  4. General housekeeping (checks, more staring at it)

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Ok, I sort of did the above:

I un-plugged everything, and powered off for a minute . . . I held in the power button for a minute.

I plugged everything back in, powered on - It still shows up there.

This version of SDM from 04/20/18 is doing something new with the BIOS . . . Everything works fine, and the BIOS appears to be installed, so it must be something with SDM.  I'll just leave it . . . Maybe the next version of SDM will clear it up, or it will with the next BIOS update.

HP Recommended

@mb1280 

OK - good to have tried anyway.

Although I have not seen the behavior you describe, you may be right about the SDM and how the software is responding to your system.  Not sure (have not checked) - if there is anything relevant, you might find something in the Event Viewer logs.

Happy Computing.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I use it on Legacy. It installed itself as Legacy, but does not keep other Settings changes I made. I put it on UEFI / Restart . . . That did not get it to be recognized

I reset the BIOS to factory defaults / "Apply Factory Defaults and Exit" / Restart . . . That did not get it to be recognized

- - - - - - - - - - -

Could the answer be something like this?

HP Softpaq Download Manager shows drivers not installed - SmartDeploy Enterprise - DeployCentral . . . I figured out why this is happening. SDM uses a file format called CVA, which is really just a text file with some identifying information about each package. Looking at the CVA for the Bluetooth driver and using my own machine (which was imaged via our current process), I found a dll that the CVA referenced but was not on the SmartDeploy-imaged machine. I copied that file over, ran SDM again, and it now lists the Bluetooth driver as up to date, as it should be . . . I should be able to work around the issue now, as I imagine I can update the drivers in the driver pack to include any additional files that the CVA says are needed. However, the best way to fix this would be if these missing files could be included in the pack from SmartDeploy . . . http://deploycentral.com/topic/974-hp-softpaq-download-manager-shows-drivers-not-installed/

C: \ SWSETUP \ SP93506 \ SP93506.cva

Rename it to: SP93506.cva.txt

I don't see anything about it needing a dll file.

Here's the content of the cva file, below. Any ideas?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[CVA File Information]
CVATimeStamp=20190131T104404
CVASyntaxVersion=2.1A6

[Software Title]
US=HP Z240/Z238 series Workstation System BIOS

[US.Software Description]
This package contains the System BIOS image and flash utilities for the HP Z240/Z238 series Workstations. These utilities can be used to restore or update the System BIOS. System BIOS is independent of the Operating System.

[General]
PN=000000-000
Version=1.74
Revision=A
Pass=1
Type=ROMPAQ
Category=BIOS
TargetPartition=PRIMARY
SystemMustBeRebooted=1
VendorName=Foxconn
VendorVersion=1.74

[SupportedLanguages]
Languages=GLOBAL
Countries=GBL

[ProfessionalInnovations]
HPPI=NO
LearnMore=

[DetailFileInformation]
N51.cab=ROM,N51,12,03,20,18

[Softpaq]
SoftpaqNumber=SP93506
SupersededSoftpaqNumber=SP91594
SoftPaqMD5=9785cb600625bbec5089e4930992de72

[System Information]
SysId01=0x8183
SysName01=HP Z238 MICROTOWER
SysId02=0x802F
SysName02=HP Z240 TOWER
SysId03=0x802E
SysName03=HP Z240 SFF

[Operating Systems]
WT64=OEM
W732EN=OEM
W764EN=OEM
W732HB=OEM
W764HB=OEM
W732HP=OEM
W764HP=OEM
W732PR=OEM
W764PR=OEM
W732SE=OEM
W732UL=OEM
W764UL=OEM
W8.164=OEM

[US.Enhancements]

-Includes enhancement to mitigate Intel Security Advisory SA-00159, Incorrect handling of memory types may allow bypassing System Management Mode (SMM) protection.

-Includes enhancements to mitigate security vulnerabilities CVE-2018-12201, CVE-2018-12202, CVE-2018-12203, CVE-2018-12204, and CVE-2018-12205.

-Enhances the EDK II PI SMM infrastructure to mitigate a potential vulnerability.

-HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to this updated BIOS version.

-Updates Intel processor microcode to 0x9A for Intel 7th generation Core processor product family and Intel Xeon processor E3-1200 v6 product family.

-Adds support for Linux BIOS tools Version 3.

TPM2.0 PCR0 = 78140B29F1C135107A29FB3148E85844BB9B2AF622686C0092A889336F8D2841
(SHA256)

TPM1.2 PCR0 = DF74AE44EA506A4EAA18562C2432580356C5A423 (SHA1)

[Install Execution]
Install=
SilentInstall="HPBIOSUPDREC\HPBIOSUPDREC.exe" -s -b

[ReturnCode]
3010:SUCCESS:REBOOT=A restart is required to complete the install
1602:CANCEL:NOREBOOT=The install is cannot complete due to a dependency
273:CANCEL:NOREBOOT=Flash did not update because update is same BIOS version
282:CANCEL:NOREBOOT=Flash did not update because update is an older BIOS version

[Private]
Private_SSMCompliant=1
DPB_Compliant=0
Private_ReleaseType=Critical
Private_ProductType = Workstations,Thin Clients

[Private_Fixes]
-Fixes an issue where serial ports may not work properly after resuming from S3.
-Fixes an issue resulting in no display output after applying factory defaults with certain dual graphics configurations.

[Private_SoftpaqInstall]

This SoftPaq includes the following methods for changing the BIOS version:
- Use HPQFlash to upgrade the BIOS directly in a Microsoft Windows environment.
- Use the utilities in this package to flash the BIOS in a DOS environment from bootable media.
- Use the ROM images in this package with the Computer Setup Utility (F10) to flash the BIOS from a USB flash drive or CD-ROM drive.

1. Insert a USB key into the computer that has the downloaded BIOS Softpaq.
2. Execute the Softpaq.
3. Select the Copy option from the GUI. Alternatively, the BIOS binary file is located in the following directory:C:\SWSETUP\SP93506\HPBIOSUPDREC
4. Copy the binary to the following directory on the USB key: drive letter \Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New
5. Insert the USB key into the workstation that is to be updated and reboot or boot the unit to the Startup menu by pressing Esc during POST (before the OS loads).
6. Use the arrow keys to select the "Flash System Bios" option. Follow the prompts to update the BIOS. Alternatively, the "Flash System Bios" feature is available in BIOS Setup from the Main menu.

[CVAToolDocumentStamp]
Generated by Release CVA Tool Version 1.0 using Syntax Version 2.0 A1 on 1/31/2019 10:44:04 AM
Copyright (c) 2019 HP Development Company, L.P.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.