Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Elite 8200 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Using an HP Elite 8200 SFF  running Windows 10

Windows 11 was announced today.  Not actually sure when it'll be released, but they did release a tool to 'Check the Health' of your  desktop to determine whether it will run Windows 11.

My Elite 8200 SFF did not pass.  I'm bummed.  Worse the **bleep** little Health Checker didn't say why my desktop failed.  But the article I read said that an expected common problem is  the requirement for TPM 2.0.   It may need to be turned on in BIOS.

Tinkering with BIOS, not my strong point.

Does my desktop BIOS offer TPM 2.0?   Can it be turned on if it's off?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The PC can't run W11 for at least 2 reasons:

1. For PC's with Intel processors, your PC needs to have an Intel 8th gen or newer processor.

2. The TPM 1.2 module your PC has cannot be upgraded to 2.0.

3. The onboard graphics adapter is not dx12 capable, but you may have a dx12 graphics card installed, which you did not mention.

This link is of more help than the Windows Health Checker program, IMHO.

Windows 11 Specifications - Microsoft

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

The PC can't run W11 for at least 2 reasons:

1. For PC's with Intel processors, your PC needs to have an Intel 8th gen or newer processor.

2. The TPM 1.2 module your PC has cannot be upgraded to 2.0.

3. The onboard graphics adapter is not dx12 capable, but you may have a dx12 graphics card installed, which you did not mention.

This link is of more help than the Windows Health Checker program, IMHO.

Windows 11 Specifications - Microsoft

HP Recommended

Thanks.  i appreciate a specific answer.  even if it's not the one I was hoping for.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'm with you.  I'm not happy either.

I have 2 HP 8200 Elite CMT's, and newer Dell desktop PC's. 

Since the 8200 Elites do not support secure boot, we probably won't be able to install W11 on them.

These are the 'hard' and 'soft' floor requirements needed to install W11...

Hard Floor:

• CPU: Core >= 2 and Speed >= 1 GHz
  • System Memory: TotalPhysicalRam >= 4 GB
  • Storage: 64 GB
  • Security: TPM Version >= 1.2 and SecureBootCapable = True
  • Smode: Smode is false, or Smode is true and C_ossku in (0x65, 0x64, 0x63, 0x6D, 0x6F, 0x73, 0x74, 0x71)

Soft Floor:

• Security: TPMVersion >= 2.0
  • CPU Generation

One of my Dell's has an Intel 7th gen core processor.

It's hard to take that even that PC will not be able to run W11.

I have one AMD laptop that I rarely use that can run W11.  One PC out of about 8.

I guess Microsoft is in cahoots with the PC manufacturers to make us all buy new hardware in the near future.

HP Recommended

in cahoots with the PC manufacturers to make us all buy new hardware in the near future.

It depends on your definition of "near" -- the Windows Product Lifecycle confirms that Windows 10 will be supported until 2025.  Windows 8 will be supported until 2023.

By 2025, your current hardware, especially your hard-drive, will be ready for "retirement".

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen 

I agree with your claim about being "in cahoots"  since I am running a pre-release Windows 11 on a PC that does not have UEFI, or Secure Boot, or TPM -- and works fine.  So clearly, the early version of Win11 does not NEED the things MS claims, otherwise, it would not work. 

And while they are giving us nearly a year to do the upgrades, or replace our PCs (to run Win11), I'm still not happy about having to do that simply because the Microsoft Win11 installer demands it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@itsmyname 

I think you misread @Paul_Tikkanen reply -- as he is distinguishing between hard and soft requirements, not drives.

The only "drive" requirement I know for Win11 is that you must have 65GB of free space in your OS partition.  I am using a small SSD on my NOW Win11 desktop but it was a simple matter to resize the OS partition to get that much free space.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Device name DESKTOP-GF0TM9M
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)
Device ID DF951480-0628-491B-AD9A-9859575009C7
Product ID 00330-80000-00000-AA802
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Update 21H2
Installed on ‎6/‎29/‎2021
OS build 22000.51
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 421.16300.0.3

Running on my HP Compaq 8200 Elite   All I did is enable TPM in bios settings

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.