Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-bc403na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

1TB HDD has completely failed just out of warranty and I intend to replace with a 1TB SSD. Do I need to buy a new Windows 10 licence or can I re-use the one that was pre -installed on the original HDD?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Bazzer5 

The license is tied to the motherboard, not the drive, so you can replace the drive and reuse the original license.

If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.

The recovery drive can then be used to install Win10 and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks @WAWood. Laptop is mid 2018 so what you suggest should work fine! Will update once the SSD arrives.

HP Recommended

@WAWood SSD installed and recovery USB created however after selecting the USB drive to recover, I get the follwoing message:

This computer is not supported by the System Recovery Media

You will not be able to continue to recover this system with these Media

Error:

0100-84F7-8640,8641

Any suggestions? I checked initially to see if this model laptop was compatible with this process and HP's own web service advised me it was.

Thanks

HP Recommended

You could try doing a manual install on Windows 10. You will need to install the drivers yourself after Windows is installed.

You can download Windows 10 from Microsoft here and create a USB or CD to install off of.

When asked for a product key, just leave it blank. Windows should be able to verify your license that is digitally tied to your motherboard after it is installed and connects to the internet.

HP Recommended

@Bazzer5 

Sorry I did not see this to reply sooner ...

What you did SHOULD have worked, so I have no idea why it failed with an error code.

What I then would have suggested has already been mentioned by @jwreno 

Just go out to your HP product page and download and install any Win10 drivers after the install because MS only installs generic drivers.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks both. Some extensive googling of the error code suggested that I'm not the only one who has experienced this issue, even with recovery media supplied directly by HP.

I had no such problem when attempting a fresh install of W10 using a similar tool and it transpired that the licence was tied to my Microsoft account and so as part of the install, supplying that info made the entire problem go away.

HP Recommended

I have a huge amount of data of the yoga pants  that I has to show the client but all data lost and I did not find any key to recover this,Kindly resolve this issue if someone knows that.

I want to update my all things.
HP Recommended

Windows 10  key is digital and no need of a physical key. It is stored on a chip on the motherboard. So no worries there.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.