Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My PC recently updated and Windows now will not switch on/boot up. I get a BSOD every time it boots up. I have a USB with Recovery Media (from a NEW HP laptop) but this doesn't seem to work. I have tried a system restore from an external drive but it doesnt like that either. I just need to get some files from the hard drive that weren't on Onedrive/external back up. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

In order to help with this, a better explanation of what you are describing would be helpful/ 

1) what is described - "will not switch on/boot up." does this mean it does not even attempt to start?  Or does not succeed?

2) " I have a USB with Recovery Media (from a NEW HP laptop) but this doesn't seem to work."  What does it do when this is attempted?  Does not work is not helpful, describe what happens, if anything.

3) " I have tried a system restore from an external drive but it doesnt like that either."  Please explain what that process is and what happened.

As far as getting the files from the hard drive with a non-working OS - there are some choices here.

1) make a Live Linux OS, load the Live Linux on this non working laptop to see if the files are still intact on the hard drive and then move them to a different media, IE: flash drive would probably be OK

2) alternative - remove the hard drive and mount in a USB adapter or USB external enclosure and then use a working PC to retrieve the files to move elsewhere.

Now with the files saved, getting the OS to work again.  With a working PC. go here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media" and follow the directions.  Then take this new media and boot this problem PC to that new media and tell it to delete all partitions and then let it reinstall Windows 10.  This will install the latest version of Windows 10.  You may need to go to the HP support site to find some additional drives or such.

If you had provided the complete model number, the HP Cloud Recovery might be available for that model.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hello @Nicki7677 , I am sorry @TheOldMan but I just want to add an information. 

If you don't have erase files with your restoration's attempts, you can try to just uninstall last updates: 

https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to-roll-back-builds-and-uninstall-updates-on-windows-10/

If I have been answer to your question please accept it as a solution 🙂
I am Expert from French Community, and I am doing my best to help you with your question.

HP Recommended

HP Envy laptop attempts to reboot, you get the circling dots and attempting repair and then BLUE SCREEN. It sometimes tries to boot up again, other times it just turns itself off. 

I bought a NEW HP Pavilion for my son that came with a 32MB USB System Recovery on it - apparently with a Windows System file. I changed the BIOS system start up to be USB (moved it to the top of UEFI list) but it doesn't boot up using the USB. I managed to get to the Recovery screens just now (pressing ESC on start up) and selected RECOVERY from USB. It asks me language and then starts process but does nothing else.  

HP Recommended

You can't unfortunately restore your PC with an HP Recovery Kit from an other PC. If my precedent proposal don't work, you need to create a Microsoft USB key (see the link given by @TheOldMan) or check if you can create an USB Recovery kit by this tool:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06162205

If I have been answer to your question please accept it as a solution 🙂
I am Expert from French Community, and I am doing my best to help you with your question.

HP Recommended

Since the laptop will now try to boot to the USB, you should be able to get the Cloud Recovery to work, assuming that model is supported.  Otherwise use the Windows 10 media I linked to.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.