Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 570 DT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I am helping someone that had had their hard drive crash and I need to do a clean install on a new hard drive. I am wondering if someone can help me obtain the key for this system.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the PC came with W10 from HP, the product key is in the BIOS. You don't need it to reinstall Windows.

If you have already used the W10 media creation tool to create the installation media, it will automatically pick up the product key, install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

If the PC was upgraded to W10, if you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the PC came with W10 from HP, the product key is in the BIOS. You don't need it to reinstall Windows.

If you have already used the W10 media creation tool to create the installation media, it will automatically pick up the product key, install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

If the PC was upgraded to W10, if you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply!

I am going to try it and make sure it works and then I will accept the solution if I don’t have any issues. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.