Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite (HPE) (az221av#aba)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Been looking for solutions for this and tried all I can find.

Windows doesn't show any cdrom in any system information nor configuration app.

Figure perhaps the BIOS is out of date (2010) but HP support site doesn't seem to recognize my desktop either from the HP software auto-detect nor from entering the serial number nor device.

And before asking if my cdrom is any good, it works absolutely fine to boot from any bootable disc and I can read it fine from my linux partition.

Any suggestions or solutions?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Hideogumperjr , welcome back to the Community.

Your CDROM, as you stated, is going on 11 years old.  The problem is most likely caused by the lack of software and driver for Win 10.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

az221av#aba

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Hideogumperjr!

I searched for the software and driver for your optical drive and there isn't one for Win 7, 8 or 10.  Your best option is to run Windows Update and HP Support Assistant to see if either finds software or driver for it.

HP Recommended

yep tried all updates, and all the other suggestions listed. Would have hoped hp would have kept old software available for us old folks. 

Just build a new ryzen with no problems, matter of fact I worked at Compaq years ago and went to hp with the buyout. Then on to msoft for the finale 

cheers.and thanksForgot your username or password?

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Hideogumperjr

Keeping up with old software and drivers is simply a daunting task.  They have to stop the support at some point.  If I were you, I would buy a small USB drive.  I have had one for years.  This way I don't have to order a computer with one installed.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

yeah was considering that, I do find older software still available, drivers and BIOS and such for older machines online, just keep the last versions provided, not just deleting it. 

But thanks for the help.

Cheers and Great Memorial Day.

HP Recommended

@Hideogumperjr, you have a good Memorial Day, also!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.