Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had my PC for a few years. Recently I started getting a message saying Windows is about to expire and I need to enter a new activation key. It says Windows is activated using your organizations activation key, but I have no organization. It's a personal computer, and always has been. My Windows shouldn't be expiring... I called Microsoft support this morning and they reinstalled my OS in an attempt to fix it, but it didn't work. They said I need to contact HP for a new activation key.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Erik5547 

As is often the case, MS provided bad information.  HP keeps no records of individual Windows Product Keys associated with individual PCs.  So, HP has nothing to provide you.

Additionally, the Windows version that HP preloads on their PCs does not expire, as it is an HP OEM license.  And, HP is not going to issue you a second license because they do not do that.

But since your PC came with Win8 or newer preloaded, the product key was encoded into the UEFI firmware of the motherboard at the factory.  You should then be able to use this utility to retrieve that key: http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/2577-showkey.html

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Erik5547 

As is often the case, MS provided bad information.  HP keeps no records of individual Windows Product Keys associated with individual PCs.  So, HP has nothing to provide you.

Additionally, the Windows version that HP preloads on their PCs does not expire, as it is an HP OEM license.  And, HP is not going to issue you a second license because they do not do that.

But since your PC came with Win8 or newer preloaded, the product key was encoded into the UEFI firmware of the motherboard at the factory.  You should then be able to use this utility to retrieve that key: http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/2577-showkey.html

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello
strange as an answer, he could do it themselves it is their activation system which sometimes derails ...
I'm not even sure HP will provide a new key if needed, you will probably be told to factory reinstall

I have an idea, but not 100% sure that it will work
So, normally the product key is no longer visible (as in Windows 7 with label on the box), it is written directly into the system
We can read it with software, so try to give back the key found

sorry, to make it quick, I indicate a page that I already have in FR
http://www.easy-pc.org/2015/08/windows-10-trouver-la-cle-de-licence-et-le-product-id.html

just remember the names, and if necessary Google it

[edit]

Oops, you were faster @WAWood 
we totally agree

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you. The installed key was different than the OEM key. The installed key said it needed to be activated with my organization(?), but the OEM key that was listed worked perfectly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.