Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion All-in-one 27-r014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Yesterday my PC suddenly stopped loading Windows 10. I now get the following alert:

"Boot device not found.

Please install an operating system on your hard disk. 

Hard Disk - (3FO)"

When I  run the hard disk test (quick test and extensive), it passes. None of the HP recovery tools work, and I always get the message "System Recovery (etc.) Couldn't repair Windows"

Finally, I downloaded Windows 10 onto a new flash drive, but when I  try to install, I get an error message like "Windows couldn't create a partition on the selected drive" 

I feel like I'm out of options, so any help will be greatly appreciated 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

I'm thinking that regardless of what the HDD test reports, the drive is no good.

Using the media creation tool to install a plain copy of W10 should work.

HP Recommended

I had similar incident only with error loop. "Windows is loading files", would come up when I tried to start the laptop. I could only wind up at the HP Recovery screen. Nothing I did resolved the issue. I even tried to download a bootable ISO for Win10. I ended up contacting Microsoft Support. They directed and walked me through creating a bootable USB drive so I could use the laptop again.

Before you contact them, make sure you try and get a back up of the computer using the HP Recovery app. You may end up having to use an older BU, but at least you will have the most recent attempt. I suggest using the chat at MS support and have them help either by chat or remote. I had mine down from Saturday until yesterday. Make sure you have your product keys, including Office if you do this. I'm still trying to recover my Office which was lost over my attempted fixes this weekend. It is still a work in progress.

Good luck in your recovery attempts.

Words to compute by,

Back up or die!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.