Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp envy

is it possible to obtain my microsoft  activation code? microsoft told me to contact hp

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@albeano253 

<SIGH> Once again, MS is providing false and misleading information ...

HP keeps no records of individual Windows license keys associated with individual PCs -- so there is nothing we can provide you.

You need to tell us WHY you need the product key, as there may be alternatives.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I have a desktop and the laptop is not fully functional anymore for gaming. I want my windows on my desktop but it says i need a key to activate it. I looked up online that you can transfer the licenses from one computer to another. Seeing how my laptop isno longer under warranty and hp wont fix it. I just want my windows so i can download the os onto a new system and move on. Paid over a thousand dollars and I really hope i can get that key for windows. I have tried to find the key in the methods they tell you to online but to no avail it seems that hp removed the ability to do this.

HP Recommended

If the product belongs to Microsoft probably their product code should be with them and not HP should give it to you send to their support a model number or purchase invoice, I am sure they will get back to you with a satisfactory answer

HP Recommended

@albeano253

HP has NO RECORDS of individual Windows product keys -- so we have nothing to send you.  Also, HP does not provide additional OEM licenses, so you will not be getting an additional product key.  Folks telling you HP will provide these are giving you false information.

The product key on the laptop does NOT belong to Microsoft -- that is false information.  That key belongs to HP. You can not transfer Windows the laptop because you do not own the key.  That is a licensing violation -- so anyone telling you to do that is providing false information.  In addition, the two PCs, in your case, are very different so the first copy of Windows has drivers only for that PC.  When you attempt to run the second PC with those drivers, that is going to fail -- so basically, this is not likely to work.

And finally, the HP OEM Windows product key is locked to the original PC.  So, even if you were able to retrieve it, you could not use it on the other PC as it would not work.

So basically, you can't migrate the Windows copy on your laptop to your desktop -- so even having the key will not accomplish this.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.