Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion p6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My desktop is stuck on a blue screen telling me to press esc key for startup menu but esc doesn’t work. 

I restarted and pressed esc key repeatedly, comes to a black screen and still says press esc for startup menu which still doesn’t work. I restarted and repeated this with F9 but it’s the same but it says boot menu in the bottom right corner. No keys seem to be working. Please help!!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You have some type of hardware problem. I can't check your PC's date of manufacture or specifications without a product number. Hardware failure increases with the age of the PC.

Something is causing your PC to hang during the Power On Self Test phase.

It would also be good to try a different power supply, check all connections on the motherboard, and try different, known good RAM in conjunction with the following steps. Replace the CR2032 motherboard battery.

Now see if you can get the PC to display any error messages. You would have to shut down the PC and disconnect from AC power for each of the following troubleshooting steps:

Only connect a monitor to see if the PC will continue to the Windows log in screen.

Remove any add in PCI or PCIe cards if applicable. Try on board graphics if using a discrete graphics card or install a discrete graphics card if using on board graphics. I know you have video but you can't rule out any component.

Then disconnect the HDD and optical drive. Try again

Now disconnect front USB and the card reader. Try again

Then remove all RAM modules. Try again.

Then try one stick of RAM in each memory socket. Repeat this process with all sticks of RAM removed in the previous step.

You are working your way down to a failing motherboard.

Troubleshooting is a process.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.