Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion 595-p0074
Unknown

trying to boot from a DVD but the desktop is not showing a DVD to select

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Dell BIOS setup is totally different.

You just check a box.  There are no arrows.

When I look at the instructions I posted, on the legacy mode setting, you have to use the arrow keys to make all of the changes, and then it appears that you then press the F10 key to accept the change.  Down arrow key to go to the setting, right arrow key to make the change.  F10 key to accept.

I don't see where in the instructions it mentions using the Enter key.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Perhaps the terms being used are not clear but in order to boot into OS on DVD, assuming the DVD is built that way, the selection is done in the BIOS and the DVD has to be in the drive when that is attempted.  When starting the PC, begin tapping the Esc key and then start the PC.  Continue tapping on the Esc key until a popup menu appears.  Enter the setup menu and select the bootable DVD as first choice.  Save and then restart the PC.  It should then access the boot process on the DVD and start what is on the DVD.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi, @bob-of-sunnyval 

On your model PC, you cannot boot from a DVD unless you enable legacy mode and disable secure boot in the BIOS.

See this link for the settings to change.  I had to give you the cached page because the entire HP support site is down.

http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=can%27t+start+desktop+pc+from+dvd+hp&d=4565925823973672&mkt=en-US&s...

HP Recommended

when i go into secure boot configuration is states that the option is for windows 8, will it work for windows 10?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes.

You cannot boot any HP desktop or notebook PC from a DVD that came with W8 or newer from the factory unless you change those settings.

HP Recommended

i am in secure boot configuration

legacy support is disabled

secure boot in enabled

key management

clear secure boot keys=don't clear

key ownership= hp keys

it will not allow me to make any changes. i move the arrow on legacy and hit enter, nothing happens

i move the arrow to secure boot enable hit enter, nothing happens.

the only thing that works if the f10 or esc keys

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't know what to tell you.

I have only one PC with those settings (a Dell OptiPlex 7020) and was able to enable legacy mode and disable secure boot which was different than the steps for the HP PC's.

Are you wanting to install W7 on the PC and that is why you need to boot from a DVD?

If so, I will save you a lot of effort.

You cannot install or run W7 on any PC with an Intel 8th gen core processor.

HP Recommended

no, i want to take a stand a lone backup. i want to verify  the i can use the backup & restore program from the DVD.

how does it work on the dell, while in secure boot config do you put the arrow on legacy support disable and hit enter and you can see a choice?

HP Recommended

The Dell BIOS setup is totally different.

You just check a box.  There are no arrows.

When I look at the instructions I posted, on the legacy mode setting, you have to use the arrow keys to make all of the changes, and then it appears that you then press the F10 key to accept the change.  Down arrow key to go to the setting, right arrow key to make the change.  F10 key to accept.

I don't see where in the instructions it mentions using the Enter key.

HP Recommended

OK, i got it to read the DVD, thanks for all your help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.