Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp elite 8200 sff
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i have a hp elite 8200 sff 

specs

intel core i5 2400

gt 1030

1 tb hdd

i want to install a ssd into my pc

how do i do it without removing the hdd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Tebbieboi 

I'm not sure what you really want to do regarding the SSD.

To add an SSD to your PC, since it already has two internal drive bays, you simply add a second SATA data cable, connect the SSD to that, and connect one of the leads from a power cable to it. That will  give power and data access to the SSD.

But, it is a BLANK disk, so you would then, after rebooting back into Windows, format the drive, creating at least one partition on it.

After that, when you reboot the PC, the SSD will be assinged a drive letter and you will be able to use it in Windows.

However, if by "install" you mean something completely different -- migrate your OS setup and apps from the HDD to the SSD -- that is a much more difficult procedure, and if THAT is what you want to do, you need to tell us that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Tebbieboi 

I'm not sure what you really want to do regarding the SSD.

To add an SSD to your PC, since it already has two internal drive bays, you simply add a second SATA data cable, connect the SSD to that, and connect one of the leads from a power cable to it. That will  give power and data access to the SSD.

But, it is a BLANK disk, so you would then, after rebooting back into Windows, format the drive, creating at least one partition on it.

After that, when you reboot the PC, the SSD will be assinged a drive letter and you will be able to use it in Windows.

However, if by "install" you mean something completely different -- migrate your OS setup and apps from the HDD to the SSD -- that is a much more difficult procedure, and if THAT is what you want to do, you need to tell us that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.