Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop 270-p 043w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

tried to start,but screen stayed black until a program tried to repair,but did not work.Shut down and restarted to get to HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI menu.Ran the hard drive quick test.

hard drive/ssd short DST check; FAILED

hard drive /ssd smart check; passed

failure id:PG9GXA-9AXAGX-XD4E3G-60W703

Ordered a new hard drive and waiting for it.After about one week,tried starting,and IT FIRED UP,and still does.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The instructions should be in the model's support page in HP, if it's a popular model it may be on youtube.  Be careful to back up your windows activation /serial number.  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@buzzsaw2 

Unfortunately, the tool we used to decode that long string only tells us what you already knew -- that the drive failed the quick test.

You're saying the PC is working now?  This is with the original drive?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

the pc sat idle for about one week,and then was started, normally,and has been working since.What i did do after starting,was update the UEFI,because it said that version 7.6.0.0 was out of date.Now i suppose i'll wait to see if the drive stops working,even when the replacement finally arrives.Would there be anything that i should be aware of when installing it,other than the normal ?

HP Recommended

I have never changed a hard drive before.I do have a 1TB external running backup.What would the procedure be to use the backup WHEN the original one dies again?Or should i replace it NOW?

HP Recommended

@buzzsaw2 

I can't answer the question about the backup because I do not know HOW you made it.

When I do backups, I do IMAGE backups using Macrium Reflect (MR) -- a free utility.  That basically CLONES the OS and Boot partitions from my drive onto an external drive.  Thus if Windows crashes for some reason, I can boot my PC from an MR Boot USB stick and use the image to restore the working OS and all its contents.

If all you did was copy files and folders to an external drive, that will do you no good.  You can restore a working system from that kind of backup because lots of the OS stuff is hidden from that kind of backup.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

i have a system image,and a repair disc.

what is the procedure to install a new hard drive?

HP Recommended

The instructions should be in the model's support page in HP, if it's a popular model it may be on youtube.  Be careful to back up your windows activation /serial number.  

HP Recommended

thank you for your help.it is greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

You are welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.