Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP all in one pc
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

every time i press the letter S on the keyboard , it opens the search bar at the bottom of the screen , no matter what program I have open , and will not type the S , only seems to be the S key as all other keys work and type fine ,,  ive even tried to see if the windows button is stuck down , but it doesn,t seem to be,,   really puzzled and baffled by it,  hoping someone has an easy fix, up there sleeve,,    

thanks in advance Tiddo

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

This issue could be due to some settings in Ease of access center.

I would suggest you to firstly change the keyboard and narrator settings in Ease of access center and check if it helps in fixing the issue.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2. Click on Ease of Access.

3. Click on Narrator.

4. Make sure “Activate keys on touch keyboard when I lift my finger off the keyboard” is turned off.

5. Now, click on Keyboard option in Ease of Access and make sure Sticky keys are turned off.

Please do try these troubleshooting steps if the problem still existed:

1. Again, check the Keyboard settings. Check if the region and language are all set to United States.
  2. Uninstall all Hotkey software (mostly used for games)
  3. Go to Device Manager and look for anything related to Hotkeys.
  4. Do a System Restore and bring it back to a date or time before the issue started happening.
  5. Lastly, try to use either an external keyboard or an on-screen keyboard.
  6. If it works fine with both the on-screen and external keyboards, it's a hardware problem.

Hope this information helps. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.