Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavlion 500-123w
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

i changed the motherboard now i need the windows 8 key so i can reinstall windows from microsoft

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@johnvan44 

Sorry, not going to happen.

The Windows OEM product key is encoded into the firmware of the motherboard.  Under OEM licensing terms, that license belonged to the PC (essentially, the motherboard), not to you.  When you tossed the motherboard, you also tossed the license -- and HP is under no obligation to provide you a second license.

You will now have to go out and purchase your own license.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWoodis correct.  You might stand a chance if you used an exact HP motherboard replacement and call Microsoft.  If that is not the case, then probably not going to happen as already stated.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I did use the exact HP replacement motherboard and I did talk to Microsoft. They told me I would have to get the original Windoes 8 key from HP before they would activate my reinstalled Windows

HP Recommended

If the motherboard that was used was intended for Windows 8 as was the Pavilion 500-123w, then it would have the activation key imbedded in the motherboard.  This explains the process

https://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios

That key will not work for Windows 8.1, however.  And if it is not there on this motherboard, then you might as well go for a Windows 10 install, because it will need to be purchase.  Just the way it is and OEM license, as already discussed.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.