Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavillion 15 cs3055wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

hi I just got a new laptop almost 3 weeks ago and I don't use it often but I noticed the battery drains so fast, is this normal? for example, yesterday it was charged yesterday fully at 100. I turned the laptop off at 100%(battery) I turned it on this morning and its at 91. seems like every 3-4 minutes the battery continues to drop. I go on the internet maybe 10 minutes..im currently using Microsoft edge. can someone please let me know if this is normal?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Queendee007 

OK, so it lost 9% overnight -- that's a lot better than my Samsung phone!

I think yours is one of the extra-slim and lightweight models, right?  And the downside with those is that there is not a lot of room for a long-running battery.

I had a similar model a while back and the battery was about the size of the one in my smartphone.

I also believe your model has an SSD, so that will use less power than a traditional spinning HDD -- but it still uses something. And the newer m.2 SSDs, while being a LOT faster than the older SATA SSDs (like the one in my old laptop) use more ppwer, as well.  And. they tend to run hotter, which drives the fan higher and that uses more power.

Here's what Amazon says about your laptop in terms of battery life:

Battery life: up to 11 hours and 15 minutes (mixed usage), up to 9 hours and 15 minutes (video playback), up to 6 hours and 45 minutes (wireless streaming); 0 to 50% charge in 45 minutes with HP Fast charge

Notice they say "up to", meaning it's like estimate gas mileage in a car -- it's the BEST that can happen, not the average to expect.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

hello WAWood,

thank you for your response. yes 9% overnight. however, is it normal for it to keep on dropping percent every 2-3 minutes?yes this is the more slimmer and lightweight models. when I first got the laptop the battery life was at a good 5 days before it completely drained before its first charge. After the 2nd charge I noticed the battery drainage had been super quick.. I did a battery check it says its good. so is this completely normal for the battery to drain that quick?

HP Recommended

@Queendee007 

While all rechargeable batteries do lose capacity over time, there should not be a sudden and major drop like the one you are reporting.  HP has had some battery recalls and this might be one of them.

You need to contact HP Customer Support to check this out.

To contact HP Support see the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:
Step 1. Goto this page https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.