Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HPE h8-1240t CTO Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Simple fan question. Fan isn't that noisy (ie doesn't squeal) but slightly noticeable. Have pulled the graphics board and cleaned the dust from the fan but I feel the fan, after 8 years is failing. There does not seem to be a way to replace the fan, so I would like to replace the board but am concerned that the replacement will not be recognized by the motherboard or bios. Machine runs fine otherwise, just upgraded to Win10 with a .5 TB SSD replacement drive (still with 2T HDD). 

Can I replace the video board? If so, with what? Or do I just listen to music while using the computer until the fan fails?

TIA

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@johnthehenry Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are getting noise from the graphics card fan.

In that case, you have to replace the graphics card.

Your product support the following graphics cards.

• Intel HD Graphics

• GeForce GT 530 (2 GB)

• GeForce GT 545 (3 GB)

• GeForce GTX 550 Ti (1 GB)

• Radeon HD 6850 (1 GB)

• Radeon HD 7570 (1 GB)

• Radeon HD 7570 (2 GB)

• Radeon HD 7670 (1 GB)

• Radeon HD 7770 (2 GB)

• Radeon HD 7950 (3 GB)

You could purchase the part from HP, use the HP Parts surfer to identify the part: http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx 

And order it via the HP Parts store: https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/CountryChoice.aspx?mscssid=&ccode=ZZ&lcode=ZZ 

Or alternatively, Contact HP for setting up an order/service via phone support   

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I did enter the SN of the computer and did get the product on the HP PartSurfer site. Not unexpectedly, there are no parts available for this dinosaur 🙂 at least from HP.

So, are any of the listed graphics boards still available for purchase or conversely, would there be an extant GB out there which will fit my HP and be compatible with the MB and bios?

Again, TIA.

HP Recommended

@johnthehenry 

I understand your concerns.

I would suggest you contact our phone support. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Again, thanks for the fast reply.

I did the steps you suggested, but there was no phone number or chat option given. Perhaps the product is so old that all the support staff have passed on :oops:

The only choice is to call an authorized service center (which I certainly can and will do in the morning) or ask a question for the support staff (thereby completing the loop back to you).

All I need is the compatible board which I certainly can install myself. If the only option is calling a service center, then I guess that is what needs to be done, especially if calling support will lead to the same result.

Again, your help has been useful and thanks.

HP Recommended

@johnthehenry,

All the listed videocards should work fine with the computer and you will be able to find one online.

Or alternately you can contact the service center and they will also assist you in this regard.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.