Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
24-e012cy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

reloaded windows twice, added 4 gb ram

after first time teams was still locking up.  teams not reinstalled yet but internet still lags.

240 mbps connection.

Got to be a way to speed this up.  I know its amd but.......

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ROCKUT 

So you reinstalled Windows TWICE to try and fix a problem with the Internet being slow?

Not only would that probably do NOTHING to fix a problem like that, you most likely made it worse!  Why?

Because reinstalling Windows sets it back to the date of the image you are using and then, when you reboot, Windows Update will kick in, automatically load, and access MS to check for updates -- this will lock up your processor 100%, drive your disk utilization up to 100%, and basically slow your machine to a CRAWL.  And this will continue like this until all the updates have been found, downloaded, installed, and your PC rebooted.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I chose to download the latest image the second time and made sure all the updates including the latest edge and  updates were installed.

After the first reinstall the pc was in use for about a week after i made sure ALL the updates were installed. This time i have waited for several weeks after first installing the latest image was installed then insuring the pc was fully up to date.

It also now has 8gb ram.  I also made sure it had the latest drivers and bios

Nothing worked.  It hangs on Microsoft teams (fyi not a web page but internet based) and web pages with a lot of pictures.

That is why i am concerned.

I was thinking it may be mdu size but i don't remember where it was and haven't adjusted it since W10 came out. I am not sure  what to set it to currently anyway.

HP Recommended

@ROCKUT 

OK -- sorry to hear that nothing is fixing this.  You say the slowdowns are all due to stuff that accesses the Internet?

I can't think of any reason why this PC or Win10 would be slow or hanging simply due to Internet access. 

Adding 4GB of RAM would do nothing to speed up Internet access, although it might speed up overall performance a little bit.

Would suggest you try ookla speedtest on this desktop and also on any other PCs you can get access to, in order to compare results.  If this looks like a Networking issue, I will move this thread to that section as I don't personally work on networking issues.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Again its a tested 240 MBS connection.  Also again it occurs only on this pc.

AS this pc was used only for internet connected apps I can't confirm that it was only an internet issue but i think there is no reason to believe otherwise.   I do think it is a networking or internet issue, but am leaning more to internet since it is confirmed that it gets 240 MBS through ookla.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.