Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY PHOENIX 800-060
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I bought this new computer little over two years ago and now I'm told that the motherboard and power supply have crapped out on me. You would think a motherboard should last longer than this, but I digress... 

I'd like to replace the motherboard so that I can salvage the rest of the computer. Is there any way to transfer my windows license from the old motherboard to the new one? Or will I have to buy another license?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Hopefully you backed up the important stuff on multiple external media and in the cloud before this happened.

Did the power supply failure fry the HDD/SSD or any other components?

You can contact HP for service here.

HP would have to replace the motherboard and tattoo the MB. This would allow you to use HP Recovery Media to set the system back to factory condition. You would not need a new Windows product key.

Did you make or purchase HP Recovery discs prior to this catastrophic event? It appears your PC shipped with Win 8.0. You can order Recovery Media here.

HP will reinstall Win 8.0 if you have them replace faulty components and tie the HP factory replacement motherboard to the system chassis number (tattoo).

If you replace the motherboard on your own you will have to purchase a new Windows product key.

Cheers

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi

I do not know a way directly. 

I believe you should get in touch directly with HP support and ask them if the licence can be transferred, or have it shipped with a new OS licence at no extra cost.

HP Recommended

Greetings,

Hopefully you backed up the important stuff on multiple external media and in the cloud before this happened.

Did the power supply failure fry the HDD/SSD or any other components?

You can contact HP for service here.

HP would have to replace the motherboard and tattoo the MB. This would allow you to use HP Recovery Media to set the system back to factory condition. You would not need a new Windows product key.

Did you make or purchase HP Recovery discs prior to this catastrophic event? It appears your PC shipped with Win 8.0. You can order Recovery Media here.

HP will reinstall Win 8.0 if you have them replace faulty components and tie the HP factory replacement motherboard to the system chassis number (tattoo).

If you replace the motherboard on your own you will have to purchase a new Windows product key.

Cheers

HP Recommended

Thanks for the replies, guys. 

It looks like my files should be salvageable, which is nice. It doesn't look like it would be feasible to have HP Service the unit, so I guess I'm stuck with attaining a new license. Oh, well. 

Hopefully I have better luck with a new motherboard. Very dissapointed in the quality of the HP board. I steered away from building my own pc thinking that an HP unit would be more reliable, but I guess that was foolhardy of me. Live and learn, I guess!

HP Recommended

Hi

Self build / assembly is not easy, nor is it necessarily low cost.

You are right to be wary.

If a component plays up, how do you prove it is at fault and get a replacement?

Dodgy memory module, No its the MOBO or HDD certainly not the DIMM I sold you etc etc.

HP Recommended

Hey guys, 

I ended up swapping out the motherboard for an Asus one and Windows started right up fine. Didn't lose anything at all! I didn't need to buy a new Windows license. Right on. Lucked out on that front, I guess!

HP Recommended

Hi

If the motherboard was not supplied by HP, then Windows will boot cleanly and work, but not be licenced.

I hope you are lucky.

Well Done

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.