Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp compaq 8000 elite small for
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I had an HP slimline, running windows 7 home premium for HP X64.  It literally fried itself and am not able to get anything from it.  Just read in MS terms that any software purchased with PC can be transfered by the same user to another computer.  I went to their site and was told that I had to contact HP.  I now have the above HP with Windows 10 and hate it.  I merely want a download for the Windows 7 so I can put it on my new PC.  I have the code from the old PC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can only transfer Microsoft retail software from one PC to another.

The sticker on your old PC that fried itself is for an OEM operating system.

Using an OEM product key on another PC is a violation of the Microsoft OEM licensing agreement.

https://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=q7CEbN2yHpJ

Q. Can my customers transfer or sell their OEM software licenses?

A. After an OEM software license has been installed on a PC, the license may not be installed on or transferred to another PC. However, the entire PC may be transferred to another end user along with the software license rights. When transferring the PC to the new end user, the software media, manuals (if applicable), and Certificate of Authenticity label must be included. It is also advisable to include the original purchase invoice or receipt. The original end user cannot keep any copies of the software.

Q. My customer bought a new PC and wants to move the OEM software from the old PC to the new one. Can't users do whatever they want with their software?

A. No, the OEM software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed and is tied to that original machine. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system, even if the original machine is no longer in use. The Microsoft Software License Terms, which the end user must accept before using the software, state that the license may not be shared, transferred to, or used concurrently on different computers. System builders must provide end-user support for the Windows license on computers they build, but cannot support licenses on computers they didn’t build. This is a fundamental reason why an OEM System Builder License can't be transferred.

What you can do is to order a set of W7 recovery disks for your 8000 Elite SFF from HP.

If you live in the USA/Canada, call this number... 1-800-334-5144

Have the serial number of the PC handy to give to the customer services rep.

A set should cost around $10 delivered by first class mail.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can only transfer Microsoft retail software from one PC to another.

The sticker on your old PC that fried itself is for an OEM operating system.

Using an OEM product key on another PC is a violation of the Microsoft OEM licensing agreement.

https://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=q7CEbN2yHpJ

Q. Can my customers transfer or sell their OEM software licenses?

A. After an OEM software license has been installed on a PC, the license may not be installed on or transferred to another PC. However, the entire PC may be transferred to another end user along with the software license rights. When transferring the PC to the new end user, the software media, manuals (if applicable), and Certificate of Authenticity label must be included. It is also advisable to include the original purchase invoice or receipt. The original end user cannot keep any copies of the software.

Q. My customer bought a new PC and wants to move the OEM software from the old PC to the new one. Can't users do whatever they want with their software?

A. No, the OEM software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed and is tied to that original machine. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system, even if the original machine is no longer in use. The Microsoft Software License Terms, which the end user must accept before using the software, state that the license may not be shared, transferred to, or used concurrently on different computers. System builders must provide end-user support for the Windows license on computers they build, but cannot support licenses on computers they didn’t build. This is a fundamental reason why an OEM System Builder License can't be transferred.

What you can do is to order a set of W7 recovery disks for your 8000 Elite SFF from HP.

If you live in the USA/Canada, call this number... 1-800-334-5144

Have the serial number of the PC handy to give to the customer services rep.

A set should cost around $10 delivered by first class mail.

HP Recommended

can i do that even if the new pc came with windows 10 on it?

HP Recommended

also now wishing i could have had the option to print the TOC.  I was reading it while reinstalling Windows 10 for the 3rd time to the new pc and could have sworn it was fine even if purchased that way, staying with the same user, but you surely know more than I or I wouldn't be here.  

Frustrated constantly with HP and Microsoft that I can rarely even find answers to throw money at so i appreciate your prompt information.  Holding for chat for 3 hours was discouraging as well.  

Thanks

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, you can get W7 recovery disks from HP because your 8000 Elite SFF originally came with W7 Professional from the factory.  HP will not have W10 recovery disks.

Quickspecs on the 8000 Elite SFF...see page 5.

http://www.levnapc.cz/ProductsFiles/HP-8000-Elite-prirucka-en.pdf

You should be able to reinstall W10 on the 8000 Elite.  I had to do that to mine too.

As long as it was previously upgraded to W10 and activated, reinstallation should automatically activate.

HP Recommended

Thank you.  They redirected me to 1-800-334-5144.  I guess due to the warranty.  Disks ordered 2-3 day delivery for $21.00.  

I noticed while getting them the serial number, in tiny little typeset, it says Windows 7 OS.  Amazing.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Was still licking my wounds from the literal melt down of my HP Slimline.

Feeling back in control of my PC at least a little.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

The 8000 Elite is a nice PC.

I installed 16 GB of memory in mine, a low power graphics card, and a solid state drive.

It used to have W7 Pro on it but I upgraded it to W10 Pro, and W10 works just fine on mine.

It is probably built a whole lot better than the consumer class HP Slimline PC that died on you.

I've never had a HP business desktop PC die on me yet. 

I am still using the 2 model series older dc7800 from 2008 that I typing this reply on.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.