734 716 33 173
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

AMD R9 380 - latest driver availability

HP Recommended
Omen 870-095na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have been experiencing TDRs (116 bugchecks) and 141 LiveKernelEvents whilst using this card on my 1.5 year old HP OMEN 870-095na Windows 10 x64 PC and latest available driver (17.7) as supplied by HP for this card - R9 380.

Driver - OMEN by HP 870-000 Desktop PC series | HP® Customer Support

Both were happening only when PC was left unattended in logged-off state for some time. They do not happen when using PC normally - or perhaps playing some rather dated games / doing benchmarks / GPU tests. So although annoying, kind-of manageable.

With recent 1809 update deployed earlier this week however I also started seeing these upon restart (fast boot is enabled) - or started experiencing black screens and frozen PC, which requires hard-restart. Which is not great.

I am entirely aware that it's not the latest AMD driver that is available for this card, however any attempt to get it updated via AMD installers to either of these two (18.5.1 or 18.9.3):

AMD Radeon™ R9 380 Drivers & Support | AMD

is initially successful - drivers & software gets installed and does seem to work correctly - however not for long, as Windows thinks that installed driver is not a correct match (GPU is recognised as R9 200 series rather than proprietary R9 380 series card) and installs its own rather old driver (despite me explicitly having it blocked in Device Manager).

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=R9

Which does not leave me with any other option but to get the latest as-supplied-by-HP-driver installed.

So, my question is: where do I go from there?

Are there any plans @ HP to work with AMD to get the more up-to-date driver available for this card / PC?

Any thoughts / responses will be most appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
The_Fossette
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
29,155 29,140 1,953 2,592
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@krzemien,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Awesome job on diagnosing the issue correctly and performing smart troubleshooting before posting your question on HP forums. Kudos to you on that score. 

I recommend you download and install the below graphics driver and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81590.exe

NOTE: This is the latest driver available on the HP website.

If you continue facing the issue, I recommend you update the BIOS from the below link and check if it helps.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp85001-85500/sp85454.exe

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
krzemien
Author
Level 7
734 716 33 173
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear HP Bot

Please try to read with comprehension.

This driver you supplied is not the latest one available, there's newer version available - and I have it installed already.

My BIOS is also up to date (the latest one) - but it's suspiciously old either, as BIOS for other 870-000 MoBos with other SSIDs have been released in very recent months, but mine (2B4B) hasn't.

So this will not help.

These both HP drivers are a rather dated AMD drivers ( >1 year), their AMD counterparty is 17.7, whereas AMD released 18.x drivers last/this year and I would expect these to be provided by HP as well.

TITLE: AMD Radeon Discrete Graphics Driver (Windows 10 v1703)

EFFECTIVE DATE: August 01, 2017

Perhaps it's time HP releases updated driver?

0 Kudos
The_Fossette
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
29,155 29,140 1,953 2,592
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@krzemien,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I am sending you a private message suggesting the next course of action.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation