PorkNBeans
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

BIOS Update...

HP Recommended
HPE h8-1124
Linux

Is there any way to force this model to bios version 8 so I can run a UEFI graphics card?

I'm running linux and haven't been able to find any documentation on this anywhere.

It would be a shame to have to get rid of this system due to lack of bios updates but given the track record of HP not updating the bios I'm forced into trying to make another bios work with this. I'm looking for any info pertaining to tools that flash a HP bios on Linux OS.

5 REPLIES 5
CF4
Level 9
5,904 5,889 206 527
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

You don't state which OS you are using, WIn 7 or Win 8.

BIOS  Version:  7.16 Rev. A

Operating systems:  Windows 7 (64-bit)

Release date:  Feb 6, 2012

File name:  sp56122.exe      (2.9 MB)

Win 8 has no BIOS update listed. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-hpe-h8-1100-desktop-pc-series/5146418/m...

Where is the BIOS version 8 listed?

0 Kudos
PorkNBeans
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually, the OS I'm using is mentioned in my post. There is no version 8 bios listed, what I was asking was is there an alternative BIOS that someone might've tested that would work in updating this bios to version 8 since there is no version 8 officially made.

Hence a BIOS hack that works so UEFI graphics cards would work.

0 Kudos
CF4
Level 9
5,904 5,889 206 527
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

I am not sure that a BIOS will be compatible with a UEFI device.

UEFI wants/needs a signed OS and Linux aint signed, so it is likely to fail.

But if you ask here http://www.tianocore.org/ you may progress further.

0 Kudos
PorkNBeans
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Correct, UEFI doesn't work with certain linux builds (some are signed) but if the bios supports UEFI the graphics card will still let the system boot. 

It's alright though, I'm just cutting my loss with this system and will donate to a library and build a system surrounding the card I was hoping to get to work with this current system. 

Thanks for the replies. 

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,696
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> There is no version 8 bios listed.

There is a misconception that levels of the BIOS software are "linked" to the level of the installed Operating System. This is not true.

The BIOS (Basic Input Output System) controls the hardware, and interfaces with the processor & the RAM.

If there is a brand-new processor manufactured, the BIOS must be updated to recognize the new processor.

Similarly, if "newer-and-faster" RAM is manufactured, the BIOS might be updated, to run that RAM at its highest speed.

Otherwise, there is little need for a BIOS update to be released.

Counter-example: earlier today, I read an HP document about a BIOS update that was produced because typing the "CTRL-HOME" key-sequence would crash Windows. The update fixed this problem, for Windows 7/8/10 and for Linux.

In your case, update to the most-recent BIOS that is available, to see if it adds the functionality that you want.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation