Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy-20-D113W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a TouchSmart All-in-one computer (HP Envy-20-D113W with an Intel Pentium G2020T @ 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, and 64-bit Windows 10 Home).  When I log in to any account on it, there are two processes (igfxext Module and pdiSDKHelper Application) that are started which together consume about 60% of the CPU for about twenty minutes.  During this time, pdiSDKHelper Application accumulates over 500 MB of RAM, then it starts over from zero until that amount of RAM is again accumulated, and then the CPU activity of these two processes drops to zero.  

What is the purpose of these two processes?  I have not been able to find an explanation of what they do.  I do not find them on any other of my computers, only on this one.  

Is there something I can do so that they do not consume so much CPU for so long that I am blocked from doing the work for which I logged in to the computer?  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@bokarblend

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I understand that some exe files are having high CPU usage.

The igfxext.exe belongs to an Intel Software and the the process known as pdiSDKHelper Application belongs to software called as pdiSDKHelper Application by Portrait Displays. Both those Apps are not essential for Windows 10 to run.

May I know since when are you facing this issue?

Sometimes a Malware might cause programs to malfunction and use more CPU or Ram usage that required.

I suggest you run the Microsoft Safety Scanner to scan your computer for Malwares

Click this Link: https://hp.care/2GpY9yw

Also check in Safe Mode and let me know if you face the same problems with high CPU & Ram usage

1. Press Windows logo key  + I on your keyboard to open Settings. If that doesn't work, select the Start  button in the lower-left corner of your screen, then select Settings .
  2. Select Update & security  > Recovery .
  3. Under Advanced startup, select Restart now.
  4. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  5. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" 

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestions about the Microsoft Safety Scanner and using Safe Mode.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner (msert.exe) reported that it found and removed a trojan (Win32/Dynamer!ac).  A Google search for this name suggests that it either may be a potential "back door", or may be a false positive embedded in a game, but is not active malware.  

While running in safe mode, the two processes of concern (igfxext Module and pdiSDKHelper Application) did not appear.  However, they reappeared in normal mode, again consuming over 60% of CPU for about 20 minutes.  

I ran MSCONFIG to check for suspicious entries, but found none, and checked the hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) for "foreign" IP addresses that might be used by hackers, but found only comments.  

I might mention that I use Norton Security on the computer and there is a firewall in the router that controls my LAN.  I believe there is also a firewall in the AT&T router which connects my LAN and TV to their network.  

It appears that malware is not part of the problem with the high CPU usage.  So I am back to the original question of what do these processes (igfxext Module and pdiSDKHelper Application) do?  Before I can consider removing them I should understand the consequences of doing so.  However I have not been able to find any information about them, other than the originating sources that you mentioned. 

HP Recommended

@bokarblend,

It looks like you were interacting with @KrazyToad, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service.

As I understand you need information regarding what do these processes (igfxext Module and pdiSDKHelper Application) do? igfxext is actually related to display drivers where as the pdiSDKHelper Application is most likely a malware. 

I would suggest you to prevent the igfxext application from running at start up. 

This module is provided by Intel and is connected to Intel display management. However it sometimes seems unstable in the presence of additional displays, eg those provided by DisplayLink.

The recommended work around to this issue is to prevent the igfxext application from running at start up. This can be done by:

1. Click on the Windows start button and run msconfig
  2. Click on the Startup tab
  3. Locate igfxext and uncheck the box to prevent it running at start up:

4. Click OK to apply the change and reboot.

Next thing, regarding pdiSDKHelper Application, I would suggest here is to remove it.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you could try to perform a Microsoft push button reset on the PC: Windows 10 has a push-button reset feature that repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This can be done either while preserving your personal data and customization, or removing all your personal data.

For more in details, please go through this link.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Suspecting that the problem might be an incompatability between third-party software, installed with the original o/s version (Windows 8), and the current o/s version (Windows 10), I visited the Portrait Displays Website ( www.portrait.com/ ) and selected support for the "HP My Display All-In-One/TouchSmart" product.  This sent me to a page with the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 10 Update Notice

Updating to Windows 10 may cause this software to lose communication with your display--you may not be able to access all of the features.

The cause: In some cases, the Windows 10 updating process reverts the video graphics driver to a generic version, not one made specifically for your computer.

The solution: Update your video graphics drive to the latest version. Visit the website of your computer's video graphic vendor to get the latest driver:

AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
Intel: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect
NVIDIA: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I clicked on the "Downloads" link (left side of the screen), and saved "MyDisplay_TouchSmartEdition.exe" (the latest version).  When I tried to install it, there was a message that the old version must first be uninstalled; but when I attempted to do that, the uninstall failed.  So I used the old version to update the Intel driver, and then returned to the problem of how to install the new version.  Eventually I discovered that disabling "DTune" (in Task Manager), and restarting the computer, allowed me to uninstall the old version (2.00.189); then I installed the new version (2.10.25) and enabled "DTStartup".  It was also necessary to re-enable the touch screen (in Device Manager) since it had become disabled during the update process.  

The original problem of high CPU usage by two processes (igfxext Module and pdiSDKHelper Application) has been resolved, and I now know that these processes are related to the touchscreen function.  Thank you for your help by identifying that "pdiSDKHelper Application" was provided by Portrait Displays.  Their Website has links to the software updates that solved the problem. 

HP Recommended

@bokarblend

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution for this concern.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the efforts we've put in,

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for our efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.