cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MetheG
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 1 of 17
561
Flag Post

Cannot open HP Support Assistant

HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite 130f (HPE-130f)
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Recently had to do complete system recovery due to issues with W7 updates failing to install.

I updated all HP software including HP Support Assistant at that time. It opened fine when I first updated it, which was perhaps a week ago, but this morning I tried to open it and the only thing that opens, just for a few seconds, is the 'HP Support Assistant' banner.

The program shows up as installed in 'control panel' 'programs and features'.

I uninstalled/reinstalled twice - both times I got ...'successfully installed' message, however on the second install, when I tried to open it I also got a Windows error message saying "HP Support Assistant has stopped working, windows will look for a solution'...(it didn't find one obviously)...I then uninstalled it again.

Any advice or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
The_Fossette
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
29,155 29,140 1,953 2,593
Message 2 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @MetheG,

 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome! 🙂 This is a great location to get assistance! 🙂

 

I understand that you are having issues with HP Support Assistant and I would be happy to help with your HP Pavilion Elite HPE-130f Desktop PC.

 

You can try the following steps to fix the issue.

 

First of all, uninstall the current version of HP Support Assistant which is installed on your PC.

  • Click Start and then click Control Panel.
  • Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.
  • Select HP Support Assistant, and then click Uninstall.
  • NOTE: If HP Support Assistant is not listed or does not uninstall correctly, install the latest HP Support Assistant version without uninstalling the old version. After HP Support Assistant is installed and working, then repeat the uninstall steps.
  • Click Yes on the next screen to confirm that you want to uninstall HPSA. Restart your computer to complete the process.

You can download the latest version of HP Support Assistant from here.

 

Click on this link to further troubleshoot HP Support Assistant issue in Win 7.

 

 

Let me know how this goes.

I genuinely hope that the issue gets resolved without hassles.

Cheers! :)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
MetheG
Author
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 3 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@The_Fossette wrote:

Hi @MetheG,

 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome! 🙂 This is a great location to get assistance! 🙂

 

I understand that you are having issues with HP Support Assistant and I would be happy to help with your HP Pavilion Elite HPE-130f Desktop PC.

 

You can try the following steps to fix the issue.

 

First of all, uninstall the current version of HP Support Assistant which is installed on your PC.

  • Click Start and then click Control Panel.
  • Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.
  • Select HP Support Assistant, and then click Uninstall.
  • NOTE: If HP Support Assistant is not listed or does not uninstall correctly, install the latest HP Support Assistant version without uninstalling the old version. After HP Support Assistant is installed and working, then repeat the uninstall steps.
  • Click Yes on the next screen to confirm that you want to uninstall HPSA. Restart your computer to complete the process.

You can download the latest version of HP Support Assistant from here.

 

Click on this link to further troubleshoot HP Support Assistant issue in Win 7.

 

 

Let me know how this goes.

I genuinely hope that the issue gets resolved without hassles.

Cheers! :)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​


Hi,

Thanks for your time and effort to help with this problem. Unfortunately both the links in your reply resulted in ..."could not find server" error messages...but as far as uninstalling and reinstalling HPSA, I've tried several times to date, with the same result...the banner shows up for a few seconds, then nothing!

I will try again tonight...perhaps the wind is blowing in a different direction and I won't have a problem...

0 Kudos
MetheG
Author
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 4 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Again, uninstalled everything I can find related to HPSA...from registry, appdata etc.,... re-installed once again...once again the same result...the program installs, (shows up in 'programs and features') says 'install successful'...opening from desktop, task-bar, start menu...all the same...HP Support Assistant banner...few seconds...then disappears...then...nothing!

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,618 3,995
Message 5 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

 

@MetheG

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

 

Thank you for the details & your patience.

I've repaired both the broken links, should have been fixed automatically, I'm not sure why it didn't, that said, here are the new links:

 

You can download the latest version of HP Support Assistant from here.

Click on this link to further troubleshoot HP Support Assistant issue in Win 7.

 

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
MetheG
Author
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 6 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

 

@MetheG

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

 

Thank you for the details & your patience.

I've repaired both the broken links, should have been fixed automatically, I'm not sure why it didn't, that said, here are the new links:

 

You can download the latest version of HP Support Assistant from here.

Click on this link to further troubleshoot HP Support Assistant issue in Win 7.

 

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.


Hi,

Thanks for fixing the links. I have been to the ' download the latest version of HP Support Assistant...' previously, but I tried it again (both from the blue button top-right AND from the button beneath the picture...still the same result...I get the 'successfully installed' message AND the program shows up in 'programs and features' as installed...but all I get is the banner, for a couple of seconds...no error message, just flashes on and off.

I went to the second link...but the only relevant information there (for W7) is how to 'system restore' to an 'earlier time when HPSA was working properly'...well, since I did the system recovery, the updated version of HPSA has NOT worked properly (the original HP assistant that was included with the computer DID open...that's where I updated it from)

Once again I have uninstalled HPSA and any other HP folder i could find that might contain some conflicting code (bearing in mind that I'm basically a novice at this stuff :-()

I'll let you know if there is any progress,

Thanks again

M

 

 

0 Kudos
MetheG
Author
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 7 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

...tried again...no good...same result...

 

...?...

 

M

 

 

 

0 Kudos
DavidSMP
Retired
Retired
12,360 12,338 1,169 2,511
Message 8 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @MetheG,

 

I reviewed the post comprehensively Brilliant efforts, profound technical skills and remarkable patience were displayed by you to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for your efforts and for a job well done.:: Please try these steps:

 

Please uninstall HPSA completely from the computer. Including registry entries. Try to download Revo uninstaller from Google and do it. 

Then create a new local administrator user account by following the steps from this link: http://hp.care/2rZfJBC

 

Then please follow the links from the previous post which was posted by my colleague @Riddle_Decipher to download and install HP support assistant using the newly created user account.

 

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
MetheG
Author
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 9 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DavidSMP wrote:

Hi @MetheG,

 

I reviewed the post comprehensively Brilliant efforts, profound technical skills and remarkable patience were displayed by you to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for your efforts and for a job well done.:: Please try these steps:

 

Please uninstall HPSA completely from the computer. Including registry entries. Try to download Revo uninstaller from Google and do it. 

Then create a new local administrator user account by following the steps from this link: http://hp.care/2rZfJBC

 

Then please follow the links from the previous post which was posted by my colleague @Riddle_Decipher to download and install HP support assistant using the newly created user account.

 

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!


Hi,

 

Well...I did everything you advised...I couldn't follow the steps in your link because those instructions pertain to W10, I'm running W7, but I already know how to create a different account.

 

I installed revouninstaller, but didn't actually use it at first, because I'd already uninstalled HPSA from everywhere!

I created a new Administrators account and proceeded to install HPSA once again...

and once again the exact same result...all I get is a momentary flash of HPSA banner...and that's it!!

 

I also tried downloading and installing HPSA from IE (my default browser is FireFox) with the exact same result!!

 

Following this failure I thought I'd uninstall the HPSA using the revouninstaller; it gave me a window saying it had found some (Ithink it said) 'left over' files...well over 500...with check-boxes for the ones I wanted to delete ...I didn't touch any...how could I possibly know which needed to be deleted and which didn't?

 

( since I installed revouninstaller, each time I wake or re-start my computer, I've been getting a warning message in my task-bar "AMD RAIDXpert ....Task 0 timeout on disk...." I don't know if the revo is causing this or not...)

 

Thanks again for your efforts

 

M

 

 

0 Kudos
DavidSMP
Retired
Retired
12,360 12,338 1,169 2,511
Message 10 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @MetheG,

 

I read the post and thanks for your response. You've done great. The Revo uninstaller would only uninstall the printer software and would not cause anything else to happen if nothing else is selected during the uninstall process. So you could uninstall Revo uninstaller and check if the message goes away. I am sure it has nothing to do with Revo uninstaller. 

 

We've tried all possible and conceivable solutions under the sun to try and fix the HSPA issue. It looks like an operating system issue with the computer. A new user account should have done the trick for you if the operating system did not have issues. I would request you to backup all your important files and information to the cloud or to an external hard drive or USB media.

 

Then reinstall Windows and HPSA. This should do the trick for you.

 

You've been simply fabulous to work with, considering your technical expertise. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂 Trust me, I've done all I can to assist you, by keeping your best interest in mind.

 

I honestly hope the issue is resolved and the product works great and stays healthy for a long time to come. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

 

 

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation