Level 2
26 16 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Enabling S.M.A.R.T. monitoring of HDD's

HP Recommended
HP elite (Model HPE-519c )
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an older (10 years?) HP PC that I am trying to monitor the HDD's. I have 4 internal HDD's and software that I am using (CrystalDisk among others) doesnt even "see" the HDD's. In various forums Ive been given the advice to turn on HDD S.M.A.R.T. monitoring in BIOS. But there is no such setting.

When the PC boots up normally there is a splash screen that shows S.M.A.R.T. but it disappears so quickly I cant see what it says.

How do I configure this PC to allow me to monitor S.M.A.R.T. information of my internal HDD's?

1 REPLY 1
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,811 5,051
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

If your HDs support SMART you can run the SMART tests from the BIOS by clicking on the HD and then select which test to run.

Alternatively, you can check SMART status from the command prompt by entering:

wmic

diskdrive get status, size, model

Additionally, I suggest that you run the chkdsk command from the command prompt if one or more of your drives have an issue.  Please review this information.

Lastly, if you still continues to have issues witha particular hard drive then you should consider replacing it.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation