Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Generic
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Has HP ever put out a system where the F12 key generates a screenshot?

An acquaintance told me that was how he generated a screenshot with his HP computer.

NOTE:  I've not seen this in person.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @snowshed 

Depends on what application your friend was using.

Its not a default Windows capture shortcut in Windows 10 (or earlier versions that I know of).

PrintScreen is the Windows default button.

But certain things like Steam games use F12. Its built into Steam’s overlay to snap a picture of what’s on your screen. That can be changed also in Steams interface.

Perhaps that's what he meant or was getting confused?

HP Recommended

There might have been an old HP application that did this perhaps, but I have never seen it before.

@old_geekster  You know of an HP application that used F12 to take a screen shot? Perhaps on an Enterprise setup?

HP Recommended

@Photoray002 wrote:

There might have been an old HP application that did this perhaps, but I have never seen it before.

@old_geekster  You know of an HP application that used F12 to take a screen shot? Perhaps on an Enterprise setup?

Photoray002 and old_geekster,

I had the opportunity to go to his office Thursday morning ( currently Oh Dark Thirty Saturday morning) and see how he did it.

It turns out, he has an ergonomic keyboard that does everything except make julienne fries!  🤣  The F12 key is actually labeled Print.  I asked him how he used it, and he realized he actually used the Print Screen key for screen shots.  From his description, as we didn't text it, it appears the F12 key will print you document from within an application.

The keyboard is also nonstandard in that the key layout only has a Windows key to the left of the space bar.

Thanks for the reply.

HP Recommended

Yep, now you know what we go through when users describe something and don't give you all the details.

Thanks for the update.

Makes sense. 😉

HP Recommended

@Photoray002 wrote:

Yep, now you know what we go through when users describe something and don't give you all the details.

Thanks for the update.

Makes sense. 😉

Oh, yea, I know exactly what you mean.  😀  I'm retired, and do computer tutoring on OS basics part time, and I have the same scenario.  The customer says X happens, and it turns out to be A, B, and C.

IMO, when MS and the system manufacturer's stopped supplying user manuals similar to what your got with a Windows 3.X system, they only exacerbated this problem.

HP Recommended

@Photoray002, no, I have never had to use one.  My keyboards have always had a Print Screen function.  I have no doubt there are many online, however.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.