Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming 690-0027nl
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hallo, I would like to decrease  my CPU and system fan speed, while there are too loud in idle mode. SpeedFan doesn't find the fans for some reasons, other similar programs also. AMD Overdrive installation leads to a system error.

Is it possible to regulate fan speed somehow? It would be very disappointing, if there ist no way to do it on HP Desktops...

Sincerely, Vladimir

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@VladDv 

The fan speed is set AUTOMATICALLY in response to processor load and generated heat.  If you FORCE a reduction in fan speed, without also forcing a reduction in both processor load and speed, you risk having your PC suffer a thermal crash.

There are apps out there that allow you to Monitor the fan speed, but they don't let you mess with it -- for this very reason.

If you can go into the BIOS and find settings to throttle back the processor, that will automatically reduce the heat, and that will reduce the fan speed.

But, your specs say you have a Gaming PC -- and if you do that, gaming function will seriously suffer!

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hallo, WAWood,

frankly, I am a little bit puzzled with your answer. I have my old Lenovo desktop with Windows 8.1 and I have easily tuned (with the help of SpeedFan program) my CPU and system fans to work only 15 per cent of the full load until the temperature reaches 50 C. Because of that, I had a nearly silent PC, and no problems with the overheating.

I bought HP in hope that it is an even more advanced desktop, as my Lenovo PC and was very surprised that it doesn't work with SpeedFan in the same way. I thought, it may be a Windows 10 problem, but it seems to be a HP hardware problem.

It would be very frustrated for me, if there is no way to tune the fans properly, I didn't expected it. For me the problem of the fan noise in the idle mode is very important...

HP Recommended

@VladDv 

I understand the frustration with Win10 -- it's like MS is taking more and more functions away from us all the time.

Unlike nearly everyone else, I was a big fan of Win8.1.  Didn't have any issues with it (once I added a decent Start Menu from Stardock) and like you, I used SpeedFan without issues.  Now with Win10, that also does not work anymore.

Plus, modern PCs have the advanced BIOS options locked out as well, so the tuning you could do in the BIOS with voltages and other stuff is not available anymore.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

SpeedFan seems to be working on Windows 10 in many cases (just like HWInfo fan tuning), so it looks like HP hardware itself prevents fans regulation - both in BIOS and in operating system. Why do they do it - I have no idea, but it definitely makes HP machines less attractive to the users.

Unfortunately, it looks like this problem has no solution...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.