Level 1
9 3 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Front USB Ports on Both my PCs do not Work

HP Recommended
HP 8100 Elite Convertible Minitower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I won't go into full detail on this part, but I am having trouble with a Samsung Galaxy S8. I followed the instructions from a reputable Android site and downloaded Odin3 3.14.1, SamFirm, Samsung Drivers for Windows, and SmartSwithch. Then all hell broke loose. The front USB ports stopped functioning. The PC would not recognize any kind of device; Flash drives, Seagate External drive, Toshiba External drive, and there is apparently no power because no lights on the devices are lit. Also I noticed that most of my Taskbar Icons were missing. I tried running things like "sfc/scannow", as well as other Cmd functions to try to find the problem and/or fix. After many hours of trying to find a fix (and fix my phone), I finally started uninstalling all the phone-related programs. The first thing I noticed was that the Taskbar Icons returned, but the PC was still having problems.
   In all, I spent probably 40 hours trying to fix the PC problem (another 10-15 hours trying to fix the phone before that). Needless to say, I was at my wits ends, kinda lost my cool (make that completely lost) and tried to reinstall Widows 10 Pro Complete installation to wipe out everything. I got the error message "There was a problem with a device connected to your PC. An unexpected I/O Error Code 0xc00000e9. So, the Windows disk would not run. I tried hitting F8 but the Error massage kept coming back. So, I ran Seagate Seatools For DOS and did a FULL Erase.and was able to reinstall the OS.

Bu, the front ports still do not work. No power, nothing. I tried the phone thing on one of my other 3 PCs and it screwed it up too.

This PC is:

HP Compaq 8100 Elite Minitower

64 Bit

Windows 10 Pro

1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

The other PC is:

HP 6000 Elite

64 Bit

Windows 10 Pro

500GB Seagate Barracuda HDD

I know these are old PCs but they work great, do everything I need to do, which isn't just a whole lot. I use the 8100 for my PreSonus Recording Software and it does a great job at that. I'm no longer recording bands, just my own classical piano and going to cut a CD. Plus, SS doesn't pay us old-timers much. so no room for newer PC.

I sure hope someone can help me out here. Would i be easier and cheaper to buy USB port thing with 4 ports that fits in the rear slot of the PC? It is the kind that has the 4 ports and a board with components that plugs in internally. Can't think what they are called. But you get the idea.

I need to get this thing fully functional because I sure don't want to get this classical CD finished, Mixed down, and Mastered,  then loose the whole thing due to some glitch. I'm talking many hours of work, as I'm sure you know.

Somebody PLEASE help. I have tried everything on the web and YouTube.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation