Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 9 (1,424 Views)

HP 251-a123w

Product Name: HP 251-a123w
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! Hoping someone can help me with my situation. I just bought a new HP Desktop 251-a123w. We also just switched internet services due to crappy service. We now have Comcast. My desktop will NOT stay connected to the internet. The tech was just out today from Comcast and we hooked up my laptop straight to the modem and it didn't kick off, not even once. With my desktop, it will kick off the internet about every 10 seconds and then stay off for 2 seconds and come back on. I'm pretty computer savvy when it comes to technical issues but this one has through me for a loop. Is there anyone who has any suggestions for me? Is there possibly a setting that needs changed in order for it to stay connected? Thank you all in advance! Smiley Happy

Kelly

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 9 (1,412 Views)

Re: HP 251-a123w

kellyanne21x3

Comcast, like other ISPs, likes to hide how they authenticate their customers to allow them to use the Internet access they provide.

When the techs connect the first customer device, they often configure the ISP server to recognize THAT device.  They do this by registering something known as the Mac address of that device.  This has nothing whatsoever to do with Apple computers (despite the similarity of the title), but instead, is a unique hardware address associated with the networking hardware of that device.  After that, the ISP server looks for that Mac address and will not work with other addresses that have not been registered.

I use Verizon and have run into exactly the same problems -- but here, I know how to get around the limitation.

The ISPs allow you to do local networking such that several devices can access the Internet, but they want you to use their access points/routers -- and the way you do that is to connect a networking HUB to their access point, and then plug your machines into that hub, or in the case of a router, connect to that router.

Since I don't know exactly how Comcast manages local networking for their customers, you should contact their Customer Support and get their help.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Honor Student
Message 3 of 9 (1,406 Views)

I've already had Comcast come out this morning and we just got the service on Sunday. Since we plugged in my laptop and had absolutely no issues with the modem, then they "suggested" that it is my computer. Which I just don't get due to the fact that its only 2 weeks old.  I'll have to call HP customer service if anything. I figured I would try on here first. Thank you! Smiley Happy

Kelly

Provost
Message 4 of 9 (1,386 Views)

kelleyanne21x3

Seriously ... you need to contact Comcast and THREATEN to cut your service if they do NOT come out and hook up the PC you want to use and get it working!  This is just Comcast being a bunch of lazy jerks! 

HP is NOT going to be able to do anything to get the PC working if, when you plug it directly into the Comcast modem, it does not work.

Sorry, but I've been through this with other folks and Comcast, and it is the ISP that is at fault, not the PC.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Honor Student
Message 5 of 9 (1,380 Views)

Actually, after calling HP technical support.. It was there issue. Thanks though! Smiley Happy

Provost
Message 6 of 9 (1,363 Views)

It would have been nice to know the solution !

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served.
Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

Loaner: Envy Omen Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 4th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070M 8GB Discrete Graphics (16GB RAM) 512GB m.2 SSD
HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t E8400,Win7 Pro, 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 8GB, 500GB HD SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and OCZ 750W.
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620
Honor Student
Message 7 of 9 (1,351 Views)

The solution was doing a whole system reset.

Student
Message 8 of 9 (1,236 Views)

Hello! I have been having the same problem/ problems as you. I recently received their system disc package and performed the complete wipe and restore. I started out with sound problem, internet connection issues, and password verificetion errors and a few other bleeps. I also had a tech come out who told me the computer was bad ( hard drive, mother board, NIC card). Cost me xxx.xx dollars. I contacted tech support who i feel were going down the wrong path as i see now. I ended up with tech support regional manger who is working hte case. As far as the discs, they resolved all but the internet problem. I have comcast as well. I spoke with their advanced tech support unit and was unable to fix the problem. i did however find the problem is in the computer itself. When I turned on the wifi and ethernet connections it worked, no issues. When i looked at the connections, ethernet was toggling throught different states and wifi was connected. Turn off wifi and right back to same problem. Our modem is emitting both signals for output. I turned back on per tech support (ISP) and they bounced the signals. First both on, the ethernet off/ wifi on , and then wifi off/ ethernet on. It was determined that the pc NIC card/ mother board/ connections are at issue. I even tried my lap top and had no issues using wireless and the same ethernet cable even. Best guess is that the issue is in physical components or (long shot) computer firm ware.  Dealing with comcast before, they do have firewalls and protocals that can affect connectivity.  In the past, the tech had to fool the systems to get them to mend.  I researched the product and was confident when i bought it based on reveiws. Since then, I tried to return it and the store wont take back. All i have left to work with is the factory tech support. Otherwise, it is expensive lesson learned and a fancy art piece.  Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Tutor
Message 9 of 9 (1,088 Views)

[ Edited ]

I see you already have a solution but I had the EXACT same problem (and the same model computer).  I found the answer but I can't remember where.

Under Properties for the Ethernet controller, click on Configure.  Then, on the Advanced tab, go to the Energy Efficient Ethernet property and change the value to Disabled.  When I did this my cable internet immediately recovered.

I'll post the link to the original post if I see it again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation