NicoSimoni
2 1 0 2
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP Device Manager 4.7 - Master repository access

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (64-bit)

screen.jpgHello,

I had a problem today when I tried upgrading my HPDM Server to 4.7 SP4.

I tried it on another test server, everything went fine. On my real server though, I had an error saying that the upgrade was not successful and from then I couldn't open my console, it said something about credentials.

I uninstalled the product (thinking I was only uninstalling the latest modifications and not the whole thing) and after some minor problems, reinstalled HPDM completely.

My database is on a different remote SQL Server so it's still functioning properly.

I started the console again and it asked me for informations on my repository.

I provided the informations but now I have this screen saying:

"Verifying that remote access is aligned with Master Repository Controller Access - please wait"

and a windows with a progression bar has been running for an hour now saying "Processing - Testing please wait".

As I undestand it, the product is trying to check if both repositories (local and remote) are aligned.

Just for my peace of mind, is it normal that this process is taking so long? Or am I waiting for nothing?

At this point, any tip or advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Nico

4 REPLIES 4
ScoobyRVA
3 3 0 1
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I ran across the same thing.  Server 2012 R2, install went fine, tested FTP and share access separately, reconfigured FTP and re-installed HPDM several times.  Firewall is disabled, tried disabling Symantec in case that was interfering.  I let mine run over the weekend and it was still testing when I came in Monday morning.

I see this is about 9 months old but no response from anyone, this is not comforting.

0 Kudos
NicoSimoni
Author
2 1 0 2
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A colleague of mine took over as I was away from office the next day and got a reply from HP.

It looks like we had several instances of the master repository controller.

From what my colleague recalls, he got on phone with HP support and they guided him through these steps:

HPDM supports only one server and only one Master Repository Controller in the system. If you use another server or Master Repository Controller, the authentication fails.
Use the following steps to delete the authentication file and reset the authentication between the HPDM Server and Master Repository Controller. The new authentication file will be created when the HPDM Server and the Master Repository Controller connect for the first time. Before you reset the authentication, make sure that there is only one HPDM Server and only one Master Repository Controller in your system. Also, make sure that the system clocks are same if the HPDM Server and the Master Repository Controller are installed on different machines. Otherwise, the authentication might fail.
1. Stop the HPDM Server and Master Repository Controller. You can stop Master Repository Controller in the Services Control Panel.
2. Delete all authentication files.
3. Start the Master Repository Controller. You can start the Master Repository Controller in the Services Control Panel.
4. Start the HPDM Server.
5. Open the HPDM Console again. The system now authenticates successfully.

I'm sorry I'm not able to be more specific as I didn't handle the call myself, I hope it helps.

ScoobyRVA
3 3 0 1
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This was the answer, thank you.

For those stumbling across this in the future, the "authentication files" are these:

A. Go to the installation folder of the HPDM Server and find the keystore file hpdmskey.keystore in the folder InstallerFolder/Server/bin. This file stores the HPDM Server’s private key, the HPDM Server’s certificate, and the Master Repository’s certificate.

B. Go to the installation folder of the Master Repository Controller and find the following three files:

• Controller.key—Master Repository Controller’s private key

• Controller.crt—Master Repository Controller’s certificate

• Client.crt—HPDM Server’s certificate

DustinKM
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is a way to get into the old database without the password:

1. Stop the HPDM Server and HPDM PostgreSQL services.
  2. Open "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Device Manager\Server\pgsql\data\pg_hba.conf" in Notepad or similar.
  3. At the bottom of the file are two lines like this:

pg_hba.conf
    host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
    host all all ::1/128 md5
    Change the "md5" on the end to "trust". Save (you may have to edit the file's permissions to be able to save).
  4. Start the HPDM PostgreSQL service. It will fail, this is correct.
  5. From a command prompt navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Device Manager\Server\pgsql\bin", run the following command:

psql -h localhost --username=postgres -p 40006 -d hpdmdb
  6. At the hpdmdb=# prompt, find the authkeys by running:

Select * from dm_key;
  7. use "\q" to exit

8. open "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Device Manager\Server\pgsql\data\pg_hba.conf" from step 3 and return it's settings back to as they were in the original file.

9. start the postgresql server once again

You can access the new database and change the key using similar steps.  My use case was trying to remove a key so I could re-import from another server.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation