Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wa6bsw
Level 1
12 7 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP ENVY 700-327c system fan speed too low.

HP Recommended
ENVY 700-327c
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

On hot days my video freezes but the audio keeps going fine. Sometime the video will restart but be out of sync with the audio.  Does not happen with side of computer removed.  System fan speed is just over 1000 rpm when hot and about 900 rpm when cold.  I have disconnected the fan 12V lead from the moboto and connected it to the 12V buss and everything works fine but the fan is loud.  Is there any way to adjust the fan speed on this system?

3 REPLIES 3
MKazi
Retired
Retired
12,746 12,732 830 1,541
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@wa6bsw

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 

Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.I read that the videos would freeze and the audio would keep running. Sometimes the audio will restart and be out of sync with the audio. I read that you have fixed that issue but the fan appears to be loud. Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Does the PC overheat while you work on it?
  • Do you receive any error message about the fan?

Meanwhile, I did some research and suggest you to perform the following steps to fix the fan noise:

• Shutdown the PC.
  • Disconnect all cables (including the power cable) and devices from the PC.
  • Press and hold the power button of the PC for 10 seconds and then release it.
  • Reconnect the power cable, monitor, keyboard and the mouse to the PC.
  • Power on the PC.

If the fan continues to be loud then please perform the steps as described in detail from this HP document. These steps normally help in fixing loud fan issues. 

Finally, please perform a BIOS update on your PC via this link. BIOS update should make the fan run smoothly.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know the results. Cheers! 🙂

0 Kudos
wa6bsw
Author
Level 1
12 7 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I first started having this problem when I was running a GeForce 8400 GS video card.  Thinking my card was getting flaky, I replaced it with a GeForce GT 730.  It does the same thing.  I have no problem when running with the side cover off the machine.  I get no error messages.  I am presently running the case fan off the +12V line and it works fine but is sort of loud.  When it was hooked up normally, there was no way to control it's speed in BIOS.  Is there any adjustment on the MOBO for fan speed?  When I power down for the day all AC power is removed from the computer.  I don't trust HP or the CIA.  This has no effect on the fan speed the next day.  Looks like I'll have to put some diodes or a rehostat in line to drop the voltage to balance between fan noise and cooling.

0 Kudos
MKazi
Retired
Retired
12,746 12,732 830 1,541
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@wa6bsw

Thanks for replying with the information. 

It does not look like a video card issue. I suggest you to update the BIOS for your PC via this link.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation