HP ENVY bios update A0.57 Rev.A does nothing

HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-180st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help.

I am wanting to update the bios for my 

HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-180st

Current bios ver: A0.08 11/12/2015

The support page lists 2 bios updates.  The one that matches my motherboard is: A0.57 Rev.A.

I downloaded, and ran the bios update sp81781.exe

It decompresses the files, and starts the update in a command prompt window.  Then the window goes away and nothing ever is updated.

I am a developer by trade, so I tinkered with the flash.bat file to echo some settings and pause so I can see what the heck might be wrong.

The only thing I can tell is it should be executing THIA057L.exe because my bios version is less than 11.  But it doesn't do anything.  I tried executing this manually but nothing happens.

I do get an ErrorLevel of 256, but the bat file doesn't even check for that number and I have no idea what it means.

Has anyone successfully done this update and/or know what my issue might be?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,399 2,364
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Zato1,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues performing bios update on your HP Desktop PC. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the PC: 

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Attempt to reset or recovery the existing Bios (If the recent update was interrupted): Click here

Step 1: Verify the current BIOS version installed and the correct ROM Family SSID for your PC 

Step 2: Find the BIOS updates 

Step 3: Download and install the BIOS update 

For more details: Click on this link to update the latest update for your PC: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81781.exe

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Zato1
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply!  I followed the instructed you outlined but I get the same result 😞

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,696
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I tried executing this manually but nothing happens.

A guess: have you opened a "Run as Administrator" command-line window, before trying to execute?

From: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81781.html 

ENHANCEMENTS:  Updated the Intel CPU microcode 0xBA for R0/S0 stepping processor.

Hmm.

If your current Intel processor is at that "stepping level" (a term used when Intel does an engineering change to the processor, but does not change the name of the processor.  Compare to buying a "Ford Focus" -- the '2018' stepping may be slightly different from the '2017' stepping, but the name stays the same) this update is applicable.

However, the update may have been issued because Intel released a new (faster?) processor, and you want to remove your current processor, and to insert the new processor, but the BIOS needs to be updated to accomodate the internal identifier inside the new processor.

In this case, I would not try to update the BIOS -- I think that any "benefit" will be marginal.

0 Kudos
Zato1
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I am running the update as Administrator.

Aside from wanting to be running the latest BIOS, I was hoping there would be more configurable options as the options in A0.08 are very limited.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation