3 2 0 2
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

HP Pavilion 24 - Wireless Keyboard - Fn keys issue

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 24-r011ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have issue with FN keys by default. It hinders me to use basic F1-F12 keys in MS Office products, in several games, etc. I don't need this function keys, i need basic F1-F12 keys by default, because pressing Fn + F1-F12 every time when I need it is very inconvenient and annoying!!!

I googled for the solution, but all my atempts were in vain. Someone sugested me to look in BIOS but there are no such options!!!

Now, i'm writing official message to HP support team - could you please solve this issue?

7 REPLIES 7
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,646 32,546 2,958 7,270
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DauletKZ

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, but I believe you are stuck with the limitations -- when the Function keys overlay the Numeric keys.

From my experience, you can't use a key macro app because it won't let you define a key to be itself, as in defining the "1/F1" key to be "Fn + F1".

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
DauletKZ
Author
Level 1
3 2 0 2
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I understand that the comunity cannot solve this issue, i'm just waiting for official position of HP - what they answer me regarding their product! Will they help or just say their usual "sorry"...

Because frankly speaking it's suxx (sorry), i'm buying expensive products with a label HP and cannot solve such small bug/issue!!! It's unaccepatable!

P.S. Next time I will switch to something more convenient and user-friendly like ASUS or LENOVA. No more HP!!!

0 Kudos
TedMittelstaedt
Level 1
15 14 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So let me get this straight and see if I understand your problem:

You have a wireless keyboard that has functions and Fn keys on the same keys

By wireless I mean the keyboard is separate from the computer.

And you are blaming HP because you don't want to go out to the local Goodwill or some junk store with 50 keyboards of various types in a bin and select one that has the keys exactly as you want them?

Just sayin...

0 Kudos
DauletKZ
Author
Level 1
3 2 0 2
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm buying All-In-One pc, it means that i'm buying ALL including stylish white keyboard which is quite good in terms of quality of materials. It's not a usual cheap worse black piece of plastic. It's a part of particular THIS expensive system - HP Pavilion 24-r011ur. (if you don't understand what I'm talking about, just google this model and you will see equipment).

So why I should go and buy another keyboard while I want to use equiped STYLISH WHITE keyboard but in a right way?

It's strange for me to hear sugeestions like "if you don't like something you can just go and buy another one"... I'm sorry but i'm not asking "why my keyboard doesn't fly or do not cook"! I'm askig basic things to WORK - I need functional keys F1-F12 and **bleep** all this **bleep** with Fn+ keys by default!!! Functional F1-F12 keys should be by default and multibedia functions should be called by Fn+ key, but not opposite!

CodySydney
Level 1
7 7 0 2
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There are many complaints in this forum on this topic.  There's always one bozo who questions the premise of any complaint, rather than actually helping.  Just ignore them.

It's common for games to expect the FN keys to work as FN keys.  Not having the option to use them as per standard is just stupid.   The real frustration is that it's otherwise an excellent keyboard, but with such a major inconvenient flaw, it's hard to put up with. 

0 Kudos
NE_Penna2019
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"you are blaming HP because you don't want to go out to the local Goodwill or some junk store with 50 keyboards of various types in a bin and select one that has the keys exactly as you want them?"

This forum has some unforgivably condescending people on it. That's a crappy answer. 

The keyboard that come sstandard with this $900 computer requires a complete paradigm shift and extra hand-eye coordination than any other keyboard I have used on any PC that HAS F1-12 keys since 1990, at least. But somehow we are being accused of asking for too  much because HP did something on this computer that makes it different than any other keyboard that I've used in 30 years. 

What's really disgusting about this is the twist it puts in a person's brain if they have the new keyboard downstairs in their office, but their old laptop has the original function keys when they use it. So now - using the same software requires a person to use different hand-eye coordination and a "oh, I'm upstairs - gotta use the Fn key" ...when you get back downstairs you go looking for a Fn key that isn't there because you never had to use it before you bought the new computer. 

We were hoping for a simple solution in the BIOS (as a lot of people have told me to look for, but none of them know where or what that is) - and the guys who advertise themselves as experts on this forum tell us that we should just go out and buy a new keyboard (and mouse, it's a combo set) or get used to it. 

Those kinds of answers are the kind of answers offered by guys who like to prove how smart they are by not offering help, but blaming people for not having found it already ... because they don't have the answer. 

Rude and not helpful. 

Sad part is, if the solution is out there and I go back and re-post these condescending, snide "get used to it, or buy a new keyboard" responses - - they make this forum look very.... unfortunate. 

0 Kudos
TedMittelstaedt
Level 1
15 14 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"We were hoping for a simple solution in the BIOS (as a lot of people have told me to look for, but none of them know where or what that is)"

That is because solutions that did that went out with the dodo bird.  The BIOS keyboard routines that interpret keys are used by BIOS when you are going through the machine's BIOS setup menu.  Back in the old MS-DOS days you could run a TSR that would dynamically intercept and reinterpret keys because MS-DOS did use the BIOS routines.  But today once the OS boots the drivers in the OS handle the keyscan interpretations.  Particularly now since its USB keyboards the OS uses nothing in BIOS as routines for the USB anything.

To do what you want means writing a ring 0 device driver that would replace the exiting keyboard device driver and I cannot imagine how this would be a commercially viable software product - because as I said keyboards are a dime a dozen.

"and the guys who advertise themselves as experts on this forum tell us that we should just go out and buy a new keyboard (and mouse, it's a combo set) or get used to it."

Right because there isn't a solution like you want.  If you don't like it you can download the Microsoft Visual C community edition for free and write one yourself.  Assuming you know how to code.  Your upset because the market hasn't produced a software solution but you are ignoring that the market only produces solutions that make people money and this one wouldn't.

I'm sure some experimenter somewhere could code up a free solution but anyone I know with that level of ability would be doing it in Linux because it's a much more interesting OS besides being free itself.  Windows OTOH is a commercial OS and when people have to code in that environment they expect that as the owner of windows had to pay for the windows software they can pay for a program, too.

I'm sorry you don't like the economic realities but there they are.  And by the way the forum assigns the "novice/expert/blah blah" ranking not the user.

"Those kinds of answers are the kind of answers offered by guys who like to prove how smart they are by not offering help, but blaming people for not having found it already ... because they don't have the answer."

Because an answer doesn't exist and those guys are trying to reduce the signal to noise ratio.  Remember that your query and my response are permanent here and available via search engine.  Lots of people with the same question as you will find it - see the recommendation to give it up - and simply give it up.  Then a day later and $30 poorer they will be happily tying away.

One last thing on this keyboard issue - I personally cannot stand non-tactile keyboards.  So for any permanent desktop of mine I have a "clicky" keyboard.  I'd be more sympathetic if you were complaining about the mushy pieces of garbage that pass for computer keyboards these days.  What good is correct key positioning when you can't speed type because the keyboard has the consistency of wet oatmeal?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation