Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Slimline 290-p0014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have a slimline 290-p0014 which I recently updated the bios on and would like to report several issues with the new embedded controller FW and a weird memory detection error that I get when using kits of RAM that support XMP. With the new embedded controller FW, the fan curve is too passive to the point where the CPU will hit 95C before the fan kicks up slightly to cool down the CPU, I believe this was done to make the machine quieter but in the process it reduces CPU performance because the CPU is now being forced to thermal throttle and go off turbo boost in an all core rendering load (Blender). This contradicts with the the temperature at which the CPU will release thermal throttling because the fan speed is reduced to the point where even after it speeds up to cool the CPU, it only goes down to about 82 before returning to normal speed and cycling again preventing the chip from exiting thermal throttling which happens below 80C. Also there is a bug that causes interted memory which contains an XMP page in the SPD to not run at the maximum speed supported by the chipset (2666 MHz) and instead choosing to run at 2133 MHz. This error is not present with the factory installed memory, which contains no XMP profile.

I'm writing this mainly to inform engineering of these issues and to look for a possible way to rollback the firmware without having to resort to attaching an SPI flash programmer to the mainboard. If I attempt to roll back the system with a bios image downloaded from the support page I get an error stating that an s12 signature file is not present when looking at the logs for the uefi flash utility.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@cpukun,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I see from your post that you are having issues related to your new HP Slimline PC. Don't worry I'll do my best to help you with this.

I'm sending out a Private message with the information you need to get this sorted,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it 

Keep me posted,

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.