Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP windows XP
Microsoft Windows XP

My friend gave me his HP desktop and it's a 2006 desktop using windows XP and I want to upgrade it to windows 7 I would like to know if it's possible to do so. And what consequences I may face when/after upgrading it please help me. Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the full model number or product number of the PC you have?

Use this guide to find that information...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07555

Here are the basic requirements in order for a PC to run W7...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-system-requirements-df0900f2-3513-a851-13e7-0d...

HP Recommended

there is no w7 sold now why ask that, that ended age ago.. for get w7 , MS DID ! it is  not sold now. for ages.

The "end of sales" date for Windows 7 is October 30, 2013.(7 years late to get W7 wow)

mostly PC's not below yr 2007 no,  some 2007 with CPU CORE2 upgrade to newest stepping revision can run w10.(have proof)

but mostly not ever older PC, 2006.
you posted not telling#1 question what PC?,  the PC has 6 sides one of those has the service tag (even bottom of PC)

tell that show model  and show nnnnnnnnABA# (product #) then we can talk turkey (Tom)

answer #2

what stops you from trying. w10, cost is free for 30 days, google how. millions have. zero  cost (blank media in hand)

my guess is only 32bit loads and many chips in the mobo are now dead, like sound and LAn.

or even dead Video, ( the oldest core2 HD IGPU are not supported so needs GPU upgrade)

forget xp, vista, w7,w8.

time to move on, find  a PC with 2010 or newer, not 2006 find a PC with i3 CPU or higher not Core 2 ever.

i  have tested vast old pc's to learn this, and even after all magic cures it runs to slow,. (slug slow but SSD better....)

NO warranty answers by me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.