Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop 590-p0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I defrag windows 10, Drive C.  I cannot find software on computer?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Click on the Windows icon on the lower left of the taskbar to bring up the programs listing.

Scroll down to Windows Administrative Tools.

Open up that listing, and you will find the Defragment and Optimize Drives utility.

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul 

I did as you suggested and did not find Administrative Tools in list by clicking on Icon so I typed Administrative Tools in Search and it came up.

It only showed Drive D in Defrag.  I am beginning to think it may defrag C automatically but am unable to prove this.   There was a big update of 5 programs earlier this week that took a long time to install and  also several slow reboots on restart.   Some things appeared to change in Windows 10 after this.

I purchased this computer November 28, 2018.  I was using an HP windows 7 computer previously. 

Thanks again

Harold Vitrey 

HP Recommended

Hi

To supplement Paul's excellent answer, I have a defrag tool to suggest.

Piriform Defraggler, it has an option to defrag at boot time and make the swap/page file tidier.

The really big and troublesome files can be restore points, but once they are done things should improve.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, the disk defragment utility is defaulted to automatically defragment the drive once a week.

You have to go into the utility and turn the automatic setting off.

You can also refer to this article from Microsoft regarding the disk defragment tool in W10...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026701/windows-defragment-your-windows-10-pc

HP Recommended

Thank you Lil Boy Blue.  I will check Piriform Defraggler.

Thanks again

halvit

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul

I will look into the information that you suggested.

Thanks again

halvit

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Halvit

HP Recommended

Prego.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.