cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cloveskycrest
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

How much risk do I incur by disabling HTTPS EVERYWHERE when visiting sites that don't support it?

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

With HTTPS EVERYWHERE turned on, I get "your conversation is not private" messages quite often when trying to view sites.  Does turning it off subject me to serious danger of invasion by viruses or worse?

1 REPLY 1
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,399 2,362
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@cloveskycrest,

Welcome to HP Support Forums!

I see from our post that you need information and assistance related to HTTPS. No worries, I'll be glad to assist you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

What is the product number of your product?  Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Did this happen after a recent software update or Windows update?

Have you tried to disable the firewall?

The “your connection is not private” error occurs in various browsers, and for various reasons. However, it most commonly occurs in Google Chrome.

Since we can’t know the exact reason why it occurred in your case, we compiled a list of possible workarounds. So, make sure to check them all, and we hope you’ll find the right solution.

Perhaps the most common cause of this issue are wrong date and time settings. If date and time on your computer aren’t ‘right’, you’ll be unable to connect to the internet properly. This usually happens when you fresh install your operating system, or travel to a different time zone. So, just set correct time and date, and you should be good to go.

However, if date and time on your computer are correct, move on to the next solution.

Clear data and cache:

1. Click on the (three-dotted) menu
  2. Open History
  3. Now, choose Clear browsing data
  4. Make sure Browsing history, and cache are selected (you can also select other data, for a deeper cleaning)
  5. Wait for the browser to clear data

Once your data is clear, try connecting to the page once again.

Check plugins and extensions:

Another common cause of this problem are broken browser extensions or plugins, or the ones that interfere with your browser. So, the logical solution, in this case, is to delete the troublesome extension. If you can’t spot the troublemaker at first, we advise you to disable all extensions, and then check your connection after enabling one by one.

Check your firewall:

Another reason for this error can be your system firewall. So, go and disable it, just in case. Although we don’t recommend it, it might solve the problem. Here’s exactly what you need to do:

1. Go to Search, type firewall, and open Windows Firewall
  2. Now, click the Turn Windows Firewall off or on option
  3. Go to Turn off Windows Firewall

Change DNS settings

Wrong DNS settings are also a common cause of this problem. Depending on your network provider and router, there’s a chance their own DNS settings aren’t fast enough, or simply interfere with your browser. In that manner, we advise you to use Google’s own DNS server, for a better browsing.

Here’s how to replace your current DNS servers with Google DNS servers:

1. Go to Control Panel > Network & Sharing settings
  2. Right-click your current network adapter, and choose Properties
  3. Select the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and click Properties
  4. Check the Use the following DNS server addresses: option
  5. Enter the following DNS server addresses:
  6. Save changes and restart your computer

Change Network and Sharing settings:

Since we’re at Network & Sharing settings, there’s one more thing we can do, that may solve our problem. And that’s changing the settings. Here’s exactly what you need to do:

1. Go to Network & Sharing Center
  2. From the left pane, choose Change advanced sharing settings
  3. Now, expand Home or work network (Current Profile) and Public network
  4. Disable the following options:
    • Network Discovery
    • File and printer sharing
    • Public Folder Sharing
  5. Now, scroll down and Turn on the Password protected sharing option

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation