Level 2
18 12 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Is HP going to provide patches and driver updates for out of warranty pcs

HP Recommended
HP ENVY 700-200 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is HP going to provide patches and driver updates for the Intel ME, Spectre and Meltdown issues for an out of warranty pc?

4 REPLIES 4
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,527
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi A123H18

I don't work for HP and am expressing a personal opinion.

Very good question.

HP, as well as all OEM PC and motherboard manufacturer's, only support software, driver, and BIOS updates for a limited time period.

One can only hope, given the gravity of the current slew of hardware and kernel mode system driver errata, all OEM's will step up and provide fixes to mitigate the current onslaught of security flaws.

Microsoft is pushing a Windows 10 update (windows 7/8.1 is in the works) to partially fix Meltdown. Intel is working on partial processor fixes for Meltdown and Spectre. Intel has issued an update to fix the December 2017 MEI security problem.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Tom

krzemien
Level 7
735 716 34 174
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As per my response in the other e-mail thread (this), for the latter two (Meltdown & Spectre)  it's best to follow this:

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/101702-windows-client-guidance-against-speculative-executi...

Judning by results seen just now it does look like the ball is in HP's court - and it's the same with IME vulnerability patch (I'm venting my frustration here).

A123H18
Author
Level 2
18 12 0 1
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the Intel link

FYI:  The latest Windows Update for January 2018 seems to protect against the Meltdown issue.

0 Kudos
A123H18
Author
Level 2
18 12 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the link

The latest Windows 10 update seems to protect against Meltdown, but a hardware update (firmware/BIOS) is needed with the lastest Windows 10 update to protect against Spectre.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation