Level 1
5 4 0 2
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Lighting Display on Omen X Chassis crashing

HP Recommended
Omen X 900
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have a new Omen X chassis and got the front light display hooked up and working. When I try to open the Omen Control program to customize the lighting, the first attempt is met with an error message reading "The lighting display could not be initialized." Subsequent attempts will open the program, but cause an immediate crash any time a section is clicked in order to chnage the lighting color. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but no success.

8 REPLIES 8
42towels
Author
Level 1
5 4 0 2
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Problem solved. Hey kids, remember to check that all pin connectors are placed properly on your motherboard before posting on a forum and looking stupid on the internet.
0 Kudos
mingfang
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you please share any information on how to hook the lights?

The lights do not light up on mine.

Thanks

0 Kudos
42towels
Author
Level 1
5 4 0 2
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
For sure. Is the Omen logo on the front lighting up and just none of the diamond surrounding lights, or are you getting no lights at all?
0 Kudos
mingfang
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm not seeing any lights at all.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
42towels
Author
Level 1
5 4 0 2
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I'm not at home right now, so I won't be able to upload any pictures or give any specific wire labels, but the lighting on the front is powered by a 4-pin connector, which needs to plug into a cable from your PSU. Just googling images here to help but the connector looks like this (But with a red cable)

https://images.techhive.com/images/article/2014/07/fan-connectors-100360901-orig.jpg (The plug on the right)

And it needs to connect to a cable from your PSU that looks like this:

https://images.techhive.com/images/article/2014/07/fan-connectors-100360901-orig.jpg

Unfortunately, the pins in 4-pin plugs are really flexible so it's hard to get them all to fit, you may have to try a few times to make sure they all connect. The pins will bend pretty easily so don't force it if it feels like it doesn't fit.

If all of that is already connected, it could be that something came unplugged from the board hidden under the back panel. That happened to me as I was trying to force wires through (And actually didn't even realize that the back panel came off). Unscrew the two screws on that panel (one in left left corner and one about halfway up on the right), and that panel will come off and give you access to the board underneath where everything connects. Just make sure all those wires are plugged in and matched with the right labels.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll take some pictures for you when I get home.
mingfang
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is very helpful.

Thank you very much. 

0 Kudos
mingfang
6 5 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@42towers

Your instruction works!

The lights are finally working for me.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

0 Kudos
42towels
Author
Level 1
5 4 0 2
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Glad it works! I was in a rush writing those instructions out so I was worried it might have been a little unclear, but I'm glad it's working for you.

Additionally, the HP setup doesn't give any kind of instruction that I remember to tell you about the lighting control panel, but make sure you download that so you can customize the front to the colors you want.

Direct download is here: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp76501-77000/sp76866.exe

But if you don't want to go directly to the .exe page, you can find it here:

https://support.hp.com/za-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-x-by-hp-900-000-desktop-pc-series/12079701

under Utility - Tools at the bottom. OMEN Control is the one you're looking for.

Enjoy the light show and the Omen X!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation