cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shieldman
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Mouse and keyboard work in log in, doesnt work in desktop after windows update.

HP Recommended
Pavillion 15 - p167ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
Just did new windows update. When It came back on I can use the touchpad, screen and wired mouse aswell as keyboard work fine. As soon as my desktop loads up its fine for a few seconds then it freezes and neither keyboard or mice options work.

Can only force shut down and try again to the same conclusion.
4 REPLIES 4
DavidSMP
Retired
Retired
12,360 12,338 1,169 2,511
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Shieldman,

Good Day.  Thank you for posting your query in the HP community.  I read the post regarding issues with the keyboard and touchpad after a windows update. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you connect an external USB keyboard and check if it works correctly?

For now, please try these steps:

Please perform a hard reset on the computer from this link:http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Shieldman
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I dont have an external keyboard.

Just did the hard (power) reset. Once ive gotten to the desktop screen afterwards, my touch pad lets me roam around the screen. I pressed on the start menu and It seems stuck in a loading circle... Its been 5 minutes now no start menu has come up. Tried clicking on other icons. Windows icon + x to bring up control menu Nothing. Ctrl alt delete did nothing aswell.
0 Kudos
Shieldman
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I can still move the touchpad though.
0 Kudos
DavidSMP
Retired
Retired
12,360 12,338 1,169 2,511
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Shieldman,

I reviewed the super quick response. Thanks for the reply. You've shown remarkable troubleshooting skills, terrific resilience and immense patience to try and get the issue fixed. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 It is greatly appreciated.

It is clear that the update did not install properly and has caused a host of problems on the computer.If nothing is panning out, please perform a complete system recovery to factory settings from this link: http://hp.care/2tUIF3h  by following the guided troubleshooter after performing a hard reset on the computer. This should do the trick for you.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation