Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY All-in-ON 27
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a large USB 3.0 drive for backup and additional storage.  I have found the USB 3.0 port on the back of the ENVY to be much slower than my old Lenovo AiO system.  I know the usual upgrade and check drivers steps. Is there any additional tricks folks found to speed this up?  I have a hub as well but I am connecting direct to the AiO back.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@condry,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that the USB port on the computer is slow.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

When you connect a device to your computer via USB, there are typically three components – 1) the computer, 2) the device connected to your computer, and 3) the USB cable. Any of these three components could be the cause of a slow USB connection.

The USB interface was designed to be backwards-compatible. This means newer USB standards are compatible with older devices. For example, you can connect a USB 2.0 device to a computer with a USB 3.0 port and it will work just fine. Likewise, you can connect a USB 1.1 device to a computer with a USB 2.0 port, and it will function correctly.

While USB devices are usually compatible with multiple USB standards, they will only communicate at the lowest speed of the connected components. For example, a USB 2.0 device connected to a USB 3.0 port will only transmit data at a maximum rate of 480 Mbps, which is one tenth the speed of USB 3.0's 4.8 Gbps maximum data transfer rate. Similarly, if the same device is connected to a USB 1.1 port, it can only transfer data at 12 Mbps.

Important: If you connect a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 external hard drive to a computer with a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port and it seems slow, it could be due to a slow cable, such as a USB 1.1 cable. Since USB 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 cables all look the same, it can be difficult to know what standard a USB cable supports. Fortunately, many cables have the USB standard printed somewhere along the cord. Therefore, you should first look at the cable if your connection is slow. If the cable does not have the USB standard printed anywhere, you may want to swap the cable with a known hi-speed USB cable and see if that improves the performance.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Allow me to suggest that you keep a simple profile for your customers.  Some are not aware and some more much more than your design engineers. 

My old USB 3.0 drive from WD did not function correctly with the new HP system, worked fine with Lenovo. Most likely a BIOS bug where the BIOS is attempting to determine if the device is still attached, a common BIOS function over USB and SATA drives.

HP was too stupid to even recognize the issue.  So I purchased a new USB 3.1 Drive.  THis worked with the new system.  I used my old 2014 Lenovo to copy the data.  THe direct USB port on the new HP system is slower than old Lenovo.  The Samsung USB 3.1 drive is new. 

HP Recommended

@condry

I understand your concerns.

Please perform the USB component test and check.

1. Power off the PC and make sure that it is completely powered off.

2. Press the power button and the moment you press the power button immediately start tapping F2 key, you should see the system diagnostics screen.

3. Look for the component test, under that all the hardware will be listed, please choose USB and initiate the quick test.

Note: If it fails it will generate 24 digits alphanumeric failure id, please capture that.

Have a  nice day!!

HP Recommended

Yes, the test produced a failure.  The following link was provided: https://hp.com/embed/uefiwin?failureId=GGA83W-9SSA0C-GXN7HF-8D0U03&productNo=X6C16AA%23ABA&origin=Hp...

HP Recommended

@condry,

I recommend you contact support as it looks like a hardware issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank You.  HP is going to repair the problem it failed the BIOS diagnosis test. 

HP Recommended

@condry,

You're welcome!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.