Zosimus
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

New HP Runs Very Slowly

HP Recommended
HP All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Two days ago, I bought an HP All-in-One computer with 4GB of Ram. Unfortunately, the system runs incredibly slowly and the HD can be heard running nonstop.

I believe that part of the problem may be attempts to update Windows 10. Even as I type this, the system has decided to try to install a Windows update. The logs show:

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709

Failed to install on 4/2/2018

Failed to install on 4/1/2018

Failed to install on 4/1/2018

etc.

The update gets to 99% and then the hard drive runs non-stop without any progress.

I also suspect that limited RAM or unnecessary programs may be a factor. If you have any advice, please help me.

5 REPLIES 5
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

The amount of installed RAM, the processor and chipset, discrete graphics vs onboard graphics, and the type of storage device (standard platter HDD vs a SSD) all contribute to provide a pleasurable computing experience.

Four GB of RAM provides the lowest level of performance. Constant HDD activity could be caused by initial OS indexing but may also indicate excessive paging to disk because your PC does not have enough RAM.

Please post your PC's product number so forum members can review your PC's specifications.

You may want to consider exchanging this product for a similar HP AIO having better components.

Tom

0 Kudos
Zosimus
Author
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP All-in-One - 20-c013w

[personal information removed]

I reject your 'solution' (if we can call it that). Even assuming that low RAM is the problem, surely unloading unnecessary startup programs such as this Hey Cortana thing would be a better solution than just trudging back to the store and turning the PC back in.

This OS still downloads the KB4088776 update, nags me about retarting the computer, and then tells me that the update has failed. Then the cycle repeats.

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Let's be civil in the forum.

You have all kinds of problems happening with a new PC. You can't install Windows 10 updates on a new PC.

Don't you think it is odd that you can't install routine Windows updates on a new PC????

Your problems will not go away by attacking the messenger.

Your computing experience will deteriorate as time goes by. Your PC will accumulate more junk files and startup items.

Go ahead. Clean out Startup Items in Task Manager.

You can't remove everything. Be very careful.

Best wishes.

Tom

0 Kudos
Zosimus
Author
3 2 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>You have all kinds of problems happening with a new PC. You can't install Windows 10 updates on a new PC.

Yes, I know that. I posted that information in my initial post. Do you think that you are giving me new information by regurgitating what I've already said?

>Don't you think it is odd that you can't install routine Windows updates on a new PC????

Yes, I did think it was odd. That's why I posted here. I was under the mistaken impression that someone here could and would help me. Oh, and what's with the question marks????

>Your problems will not go away by attacking the messenger.

In what bizarre world do you live in? You are not "the messenger." The problem is not and never was insufficient RAM. The problem was a corrupted file. Microsoft diagnosed the problem, replaced the corrupted version with a clean version, and got me up and running. My computer now works perfectly.

No thanks to you.

Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

There be trolls in this forum.

I thought about responding to your response. Had the feeling you were a troublemaker.

Which you are.

Microsoft fixed your problem. But you did not have the decency to include this fact in your previous comments.

Best wishes.

Enjoy your new PC .

Tom

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation