Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion P6000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Desktop no longer goes into sleep mode or screensaver..  Only thing I can figure differently is the latest win10 update a few days ago.  Up date was  KB4015217..  Tried everything with no luck

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi! @lborges

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I understand after updating KB4015217 your PC does not go into sleep mode.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Was there any interruption due to which windows update got canceled or stopped?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Follow these steps to enable your keyboard to wake your computer from sleep mode:
In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager.
Click the arrow next to Keyboards and double-click the name of your keyboard.
If the Power Management tab is available, proceed to the next step.
If the Power Management tab is not available, click the Change Settings button if it appears below the Device status box. The same Keyboard Properties window opens with the Power Management tab available.
If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Click the Power Management tab and make sure that the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer is checked.
Click OK, and then test to make sure that the keyboard can now wake the computer. If the computer still cannot wake from sleep mode, continue using these steps.

If the issue still persists update BIOS and drivers using HP support assistant on your PC and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to use HP support assistant.

Also, even after updating the drivers if the issue persists try performing a system restore on your PC and update the windows again.

Refer this article to know how to perform a system restore on your PC.

Let me know if this works!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You misread my problem.  My computer does NOT go into sleep mode. 

HP Recommended

Hi! @lborges, It's great to hear from you again. I was much waiting for your response.

As you mentioned the computer is not going to sleep.

Please try the steps mentioned below.

Select the “Start” button, then select “Settings“.
Select “System“.
Select “Power & sleep“.
Ensure the “Sleep” setting is set to the desired value.
Have a look under “Additional power settings“.
Select “Change Plan Settings” next to the option that you have selected.
Select “Change advanced power settings“.
On the “Power Options” screen, you want to expand each setting and ensure that they allow the computer to go to sleep mode. In my case, the setting under “Multimedia settings” > “When sharing media” was set to “Prevent idling to sleep“. I had to set this to “Allow the computer to sleep“. If you’re feeling lazy, just hit the “Restore plan defaults” button and that should toggle all items to where sleeping is allowed in Windows 10.

Sometimes it is your network adapter. Go to device manager, then network adapters and click on properties. Then click on the power management tab and uncheck "allow this device to wake the computer".

I'll watch your reply!

Cheers! 🙂 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried everything you said..  Still no sleep or screensaver activation..

HP Recommended

@lborges,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

This issue could occur if there are any external devices connected to the computer which might be preventing the system from going to sleep mode.

Hence, please check if you have any external devices connected to the computer.

If the external devices are not connected to the computer then you may follow the steps in the link to reset windows: Microsoft Push-Button Reset (Windows 10)

If the issue still persists, then you may need to perform a recovery from the link: Performing an HP System Recovery

Note: I would suggest you perform a system recovery. Doing this will wipe off everything and set the computer back to the original factory conditions. So, please remember to back up your data before initiating system recovery. If for some reason the recovery fails. The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Tried what you suggested on external devices and no luck..  No way will I perform a system recovery or reload windows on my Personal Computer..  That is one headache I wish to avoid.. I will live with the inconvience on no sleep or screen saver..

HP Recommended

Hi @lborges, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply, I agree, no one likes to perform recovery. However, I would suggest you perform a Push button reset, by keeping the files, as it would refresh the settings and you will retain your files and applications. As a precaution backup your data though. Please do try it in your spare time and keep checking HPSA for any updates in the mean time. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As I said before no way will I preform a reset unless my computer is completely mucked up.  I have no reason to reinstall programs like MSOffice and several graphics programs among others and then update everything.  Thanks for the advice but no thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi! @lborges, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As my colleague recommended you to perform push button reset. But you don't want to do it as it might erase the data.

Performing a push button reset should not erase any personal files or data from your PC.

Refer this document to know more information push button reset.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.