Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN HP 40L

Hello everyone, I have a problem with my computer. When I try to shut down the computer from the operating system (Windows 10) the computer does not shut down completely. The fans along with the power supply and connected equipment are still on but the screen is turned off. I have tried other operating systems such as Windows 11 and Linux, but the problem is still there. And every time I want to turn off the computer I have to hold the power button for several seconds. I have investigated something on the subject but they say that the problem is in the configuration of the motherboard but I have not been able to find the solution, thank you very much in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @DenysJr 

You have tried other operating systems so I would say it may be a MB problem or power supply problem. This would apply if no other peripherals besides a monitor, mouse, and keyboard are connected to the PC.

Remove any non factory internal components you may have installed.

I think MB/CPU power states on HP PCs are not configurable. My guess is the power supply or the MB is causing this problem.

Contact HP if in warranty.

Try removing the CR2032 MB battery after the PC is off and disconnected from AC power. Depress the power button for a while to drain residual power from the MB before removing the battery.

Wait a while. Reinstall the battery. Try the PC again.

HP Recommended

Hello again, I have tried removing the battery and waiting a few minutes, then I have assembled everything again and the equipment continues to cause me the same error. The computer is about 6 months old and the failure started about 3 weeks ago. Is there any program where I can check the status of the power supply?

HP Recommended

Hi @DenysJr 

You can try a PSU tester. I have never tried PSU testers.

Try running HP Diagnostics. Start the PC. Tap "ESC". Select "F2".

Run system and component tests.

I usually swap in a different PSU outside the case by connecting the 24 pin MB connection, 4 or 8 pin CPU connections, and the graphics card PCIe connections to test the system.

No change in behavior would suggest it is most likely a MB problem. PCs are complex beasts.

You would have to start removing individual components, one at a time, then check again. Disconnect drives, try one memory stick at a time in each memory socket. Try a different stick of compatible memory. Disconnect the WIFI card. 

You did not provide a specific product number. I don't know if your CPU supports integrated graphics. If the CPU supports graphics then remove the discrete graphics card. Test again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.