Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 5 (2,082 Views)

Power off my USB port to my cooling fan when in sleep mode

Desktop, HP Envey running Windows 8.1

Model H8-1414PC

I just purchased an extra pair of USB cooling fans and want the computer to turn off the power to their USB port while in sleep mode. 

I have already tried;

- Device Manager/Universal Serial Bus controllers/viewed all USB Root Port Hub/power Management tab/and the box are Checked to "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 5 (2,040 Views)

Re: Power off my USB port to my cooling fan when in sleep mode

[ Edited ]

HI clifs,,

Thank you for your post, I will do my utmost to help you resolve this issue.

I grasp that you would like to control the power going to the usb ports.  Here is a document on Managing Power Options (Windows 8), that should be helpful. Please let me know if you require further assistance.

Sparkles1

Tutor
Message 3 of 5 (2,032 Views)

I'm looking to power off my USB port so my USB cooling fan will stop when the computer sleeps.  This document did not help.

Retired
Message 4 of 5 (2,019 Views)

Hi Clifs,,

Thank you for your reply. 

Here is a link to a Microsoft document on  Introduction to Power Management,USB ETW and Power Management and Implementing power management in USB client drivers.

I do no believe you can stop all power going to the usb through the software. The only way to remove all power to  the usb, is to remove the connection from the motherboard. I hope  these are useful

Sparkles1

Tutor
Message 5 of 5 (808 Views)

Just wondering if anyone has figured this out yet.  I see many others with similar issue with no solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation